Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder problems after installing El Capitan

Hi.

I'm being facing lots of problems with the finder. Sometimes the Finder don't refresh the folder and files. It's very annoying because I'm a developer and I never know if the files were created or not. To have sure I have to go to the terminal and check. Sometimes if I rename a file the Finder start to show again. Sometimes I need to relaunch it or when it doesn't work I execute the command "killall Finder" in terminal. The worst is that sometimes the Finder won't opening anymore and the only solution is restart the MacBook.

This is affecting my work as I lose lots of times and sometimes I have to restart long tasks that were running. The restart is not a solution. There must be another solution.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15 Late 2013 and the OSX installation is:

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.1 (15B42)

Thanks.

JS

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:50 AM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Blue Cat Pixel

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Finder problems after installing El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.