Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac edition and Dell 4K monitor

I have a Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33GHz model with an AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac edition graphics card installed, running Yosemite 10.10.5.

My 30" Apple Cinema HD Display (connected via Dual-DVI) is starting to act flakey (probably a problem with the bezel buttons on the right side; chronicled elsewhere on this site by others).

I started thinking about buying that new Dell 31.5" 4K monitor to replace it with, using the 2 mini DisplayPort ports on the Sapphire card.

I've seen a few older posts implying that the card has problems with other 4K displays using mini DisplayPort running older (like 10.10.2) versions of Yosemite.

Just looking to see if anyone's had more recent experience with this configuration and whether or not it's working nowadays with a more recent OS. Would hate to buy the Dell and then have to ship it back because the 4K setup didn't work.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 6-core, 24 GB RAM, 4x2 TB/RAID card

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:53 AM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2016 9:23 AM in response to Greg Earle

I too would like to know the answer to this. I have seen comments that suggest that Radeon cards will work reasonably well with 4K monitors that use MST, but struggle with 4K monitors that use SST. SST is superior to MST and more and more new 4K monitors are using SST. For those unaware MST monitors basically act as two 2K monitors side by side and the software knows to treat them as one, an SST monitor however is a true single 4K display as far as the software is concerned.

Another issue I have seen reported is that even for a Radeon HD 7950 with Mac firmware apparently you can't see or access the boot options screens on 4K screens i.e. you don't see anything until the Mac has finished booting.

2010 Mac Pro, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac edition and Dell 4K monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.