Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Procedure for upgrading from Mac OS10.6.8 to OS10.9

Can someone tell me the simple step by step procedure for upgrading to a later Operating System on my iMac?

I'm quite sure I have the memory capacity that I need and I've backed up via time machine onto an external hard drive (as well as doing an export back up from my Entourage) as all the articles I've found have suggested.

I'm on an iMac 9.1 with Intel Core 2 duo, 2.66 GHz. I'm still operating on Mac OS X version 10.6.8. I have 4GB memory with a capacity on my hard drive of 2TB with 1.63TB available and I'm trying to upgrade to a later operating system. I don't want to go right up to El Capitan yet as I want any problems to be ironed out first PLUS, I'm still running CS5.5 (Adobe Creative Suite) so want to make sure everything still works properly on an earlier version until I can afford to upgrade to Creative Cloud.

I was wondering if it's possible to skip going to OS10.7 or OS10.8 and go straight to Mavericks 10.9 or do I need to do a few steps beforehand. Every time I try and upgrade, it says I need to have an earlier OS. Do I need to install OS10.7 or OS10.8 first at a cost of $30 via the App Store or is this unnecessary?

Also, I've read that I need to make sure I have iPhoto 9.0.1 installed before going over to iPhoto 11 but I've tried to upgrade that as well and it says I need an earlier version. I'm on iPhoto 09 (version 8.1.2)

If there's a step by step way of doing this, please let me know.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhone iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:03 AM

8 replies

Nov 27, 2015 7:42 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for your reply Niel.

I didn't previously download Mavericks so maybe that's where the problem lies? Have you tried accessing/downloading Mavericks on App Store or the Apple site? It's not available it seems ... They keep referring me back to El Capitan which I don't want just yet. I didn't purchase Mavericks when they were offering it to me for free as I thought I'd do so when I was ready to ... Now it seems I can't find it anywhere.

So, here lies the question, because i didn't purchase it when I should've, how do I go about the process of updating without it being available, or is it available but I just can't find it? Please add a link if you know where it is. Otherwise, if it comes down to starting off with updating Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (or even to Lion first off), then to Mavericks, please let me know. I just wouldn't have thought that necessary.

On the topic of iPhoto. In my "researching" on the net, i came across a few things where it said, "before you go uploading iLife 11 (iPhoto 11 version 9.4.1), make sure you install iPhoto 9.0.1". iLife is iPhoto 11 version 9.4.1 right? Or am I getting totally muddled? Is iLife 11 the latest? It's all very confusing as it seems the latest is called Photo now instead of iPhoto.

The only reason I ask these two questions/topics together is because, I don't want to update/upgrade to Mavericks if I need to update my iPhoto first ... That's the reason I've held off for so long ... Besides wanting to make sure my CS5.5 works for the time being. I'm trying to make money so I can upgrade to all the latest and greatest and get a new machine etc, but without the in between process, I can't get on with work that will pay me so I can save for the next step.

I hope this all makes sense ...

Nov 27, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel for your quick response.

1. I'm guessing you mean I actually have to walk into a store (not online) and get Mavericks. So I can't just get it as a download on the internet?

2. When you say, "Install it" on answer #2, I'm presuming you're talking about iLife 11 not Mavericks? So therefore, can I go and get Mavericks, download that and upgrade my OS to Mavericks and update to iPhoto 9.4.3 from the same DVD that Mavericks is on before opening the iPhoto application. Do I need to buy a "physical" iLife 11 DVD from the Apple Store as well? The only reason I ask that question is because I'm not sure what version of iPhoto/Photo is on the Mavericks update. They usually come as part of the update don't they? I don't particularly want to be going all the way back into an Apple store twice if I can help it ...

Conclusion:

1. So what I'm getting here is that first of all I need to purchase Mavericks AND iLife DVD from the same store (from a "walk-in" Apple Store), update both on my computer, THEN open iPhoto AFTER adding the 9.4.3 update. Is that correct?

2. If I was to update to Lion or Mountain Lion, I have to pay $30AUD but I would still need to update to Mavericks for a cost on top of that right? (I'm not sure what Mavericks will cost). Do I need to upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion before updating to Mavericks either way?

Procedure for upgrading from Mac OS10.6.8 to OS10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.