Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to if test icloud is working properly?

Hey guys, on an iphone 5c running version 8.1.3, I need to test if the icloud is working properly, in Settings->icloud->backup, it is showing "ON" with the green button to the right. I need to know for sure the icloud is indeed enabled and functional, how can I test that please?

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:44 AM

If iCloud Backup has been working you should see the date and time of the last backup below the "Back up now" words at Settings > iCloud > Backup.

You can also go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > device name and see more information.

18 replies

Nov 29, 2015 6:03 AM in response to mikehende

Ok, let me ask this. Seems like the icloud is not working so I am being told best thing I can do is to cancel the icloud account and create a new one. If that is accurate can anyone link me to safe instructions for doing so please as on the net I am seeing different ways of doing this and don;t wish to mess up anything on the phone?

Nov 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to mikehende

Is this a brand new phone and one that has never been owned before? You are making it sound like that you are getting the phone from someone else. If that is true, did he erase the phone properly before giving/selling it to you? Did you set up an iCloud account on the phone? Have you attempted an iCloud backup in Settings>iCloud>Backup>On?

Dec 1, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Demo

Taken from my original post:

on an iphone 5c running version 8.1.3, I need to test if the icloud is working properly, in Settings->icloud->backup, it is showing "ON" with the green button to the right. I need to know for sure the icloud is indeed enabled and functional, how can I test that please?

I am a pc tech and never owned an iphone so I don;t know how it works, from time to time people bring their apple products to me for repair or troubleshooting and what I can't find on the net I come here for help. This used phone in question belongs to a customer who is not tech savvy. When he had bought the phone years ago he had paid someone to setup everything for him but now he can't find that person so he doesn't know the icloud username and password, he only knows the Apple ID and password.

According to what FixFifth wrote:

"If iCloud Backup has been working you should see the date and time of the last backup below the "Back up now" words at Settings > iCloud > Backup."

There isn't any date and time showing so since this means the icloud has not been working what can i attempt now. One store owner told me I will need to delete and reinstall the icloud account but without knowing the icloud info which was used he can't tell me how to go about this? Any ideas please?

Dec 1, 2015 8:48 AM in response to FoxFifth

Wait a minute, according to this from your link.

With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can:

• Turn off Find My iPhone on your device
  • Sign out of iCloud on your device
  • Erase and reactivate your device

First thing I need to clarify is do you create a separate account for icloud so then you will have a separate login username and password in addition to your apple ID? Also the above shows you can "Erase and reactivate your device", does this mean I can do this myself, if yes, any links to "safe" instructions for this please?

Dec 1, 2015 9:04 AM in response to mikehende

You may have to see if the 'store owner' will accept a return of what may be a pre-owned iPhone;

your second-hand iCloud account would be tied to the original Apple ID and cannot be changed...

unless you're the one with the original Apple ID or that owner had prepared the unit for re-sale or

re-use by another individual. This was alluded to in Demo and Foxfifth's reply as well.

Good luck...!😐

Dec 1, 2015 9:07 AM in response to FoxFifth

Oh cool, so since he has his apple ID and password, I can use that to erase and reactivate the existing icloud is this correct? If yes then any safe instructions to do this anywhere you may know of please? Searching the net I am seeing different ways of doing this but not sure if I should trust some of those methods and risk messing up something on the guy's phone.

Dec 1, 2015 9:23 AM in response to mikehende

You can inquire of the activation lock status, and see if the previous owner prepared it for re-sale.

Enter serial number, etc to see status:

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

iCloud: Activation Lock - about

You can check on the status of Apple Systems, servers, services:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

The seller should be willing to help, but not always. 😐

Dec 9, 2015 4:43 AM in response to K Shaffer

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this guys. I have the phone now and followed instructions I found on the net here:

http://www.imore.com/how-turn-icloud-backup-your-iphone-or-ipad

Please see attached screenshot which shows the backup was "never" turned on? So, I am guessing next step would be to turn on the backup BUT the backup shows as on at the top of the screen so any ideas please?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

how to if test icloud is working properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.