Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my mail suddenly going to TRASH instead of INBOX

Since upgrading to El Capitan, the mail items that usually go to my INBOX are now going directly to TRASH and I have made no changes to my settings.

MacBook Air, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 2:54 PM

Hello Bbteague,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you're only getting messages in your trash mailbox, rather than your inbox. I'd like you to please check that you have the option enabled to "Store deleted messages on the server" in the Mail Preferences.

Mailbox Behaviors preferences

Take care.

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:21 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Suddenly, I am having the same issue. Looking like an idiot to my clients! Messages from people I communicate with on a daily basis is not showing up in my inbox, but then I find it in the trash when doing a search. I haven't changed any settings. It's only been in the last 2 weeks or so.

Macbook pro, late 2014, OS X Yosemite

Help!

why is my mail suddenly going to TRASH instead of INBOX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.