Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you clone a hard drive from a mid 2010 macbook pro and use it on a mid 2009 macbook pro

My mid 2009 13" macbook pro's hard drive failed I also have a mid 2010 same model that works fine, can I clone the new hard drive on the 2010 and use it on the 2009?Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:27 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2015 11:15 AM in response to gcatal01

The one obscure case not described above is that you cannot start up a Mac from a clone of the software that "shipped in the box" with a different model Mac. The "shipped in the box" version does not contain "drivers for every appropriate model Mac".

AS lllaass described, any "purchased" version (even if "purchased" for $0), can be cloned and work as long as the destination model Mac can run that same version. These DO contain "drivers for every appropriate model Mac".

can you clone a hard drive from a mid 2010 macbook pro and use it on a mid 2009 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.