Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am i not allowed to post a question?

You are not allowed to create or update this content

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:11 PM

i was trying to ask why my stolen iPad can't be found by serial number if someone tries to register it?

11 replies

Nov 27, 2015 9:50 AM in response to wooferSTL

No, it is not a technical question that is relevant to this site. As clearly stated in the ToU this is a user-to-user technical support site. None of your fellow users would be able to answer your question as to why Apple, Inc. does or doesn't do anything.

No, I have activated new products and you are not required to register it, there is a button to bypass that action. If you choose to set it up with your Apple ID it asks for that but you can bypass it. I have done so.

I can see now why your posts get deleted.

Nov 27, 2015 10:00 AM in response to wooferSTL

Technically, there may have been a glitch in the software this part of the site uses.

Otherwise, the thread you may have attempted to post in may have been closed

or answered, if the site first prompted or directed you to an existing discussion in

the process of you trying to post a question; sometimes it does that. A better idea

is to not let it provide existing thread content as possible answers to your situation.

Since I (or we?) cannot guess the process you went through, from several possible

initial directions one could take to begin a post here, your response to the first

answer you received was not polite. And I am no fanboi either, so don't start that.

Usually when I offer a detailed reply to someone who's looking for trouble, the entire

thread gets pulled due to the original author having broken the rules or Terms Of Use.

As a volunteer, in this peer-to-peer technical user discussions area, we're not fanboiz

nor are we willing to be targeted by those who may wish to bully or annoy. I got that

in high school for a few years. So if you have a problem with your product or a service

get on with asking it already. I'm not being compensated, nor is the first respondent.

And there are times such as this, where no new posts appeared, yet after I post a

reply, 15 minutes have gone by... and i didn't use them. Where did they go?

Good luck with your original issue... 😐

Nov 27, 2015 2:49 PM in response to wooferSTL

You are talking about something entirely different from registering your device. In your original post I answered you and told you that registering wasn't required and gains very little other than to list all the Apple products you own. This is correct but instead of checking that your anger got the better of you. What you are referring to is linking your iPad with your Apple ID. That is NOT the same thing as registering your device. Since you used the word register how was I supposed to know you meant something else?

Even what you are referring to is not absolutely necessary, you can use an iPad without registering it to an Apple ID, iCloud or anything else. Or a thief can set up an Apple ID with a bogus name and address and none for payment type.

If you activated Find My iPad under iCloud when you set it up you should be able to track the device assuming they have not turned it off. If it is a WiFi only iPad it will need to be connected to a WiFi hotspot. Also if you turned on Find My iPad no one is going to be able to use that iPad because it will trigger Activation Lock: iCloud: Activation Lock

There are no technical reasons that Apple cannot trap serial numbers of devices but there are many privacy, legal and fiscal issues involved. If you do a search here you can find some previous discussions on this. There are no Apple executives here so no one can answer your question as to why Apple does not do so. You can click on the Contact Us link at the bottom right of this page and find somewhere in Apple to ask, I would suggest you write a letter to their headquarters. Or you can send feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Why am i not allowed to post a question?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.