Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps didn't transferred in win 10

I recently upgrade my win 7 to win 10. Unfortunately, because of some technical issues, i need to reinstall my pc. I reinstalled everything, include itunes. The problem started when i want to sync my ipad 4 to my pc. I can transferred music and video, but not my apps. I already authorize this pc in itunes store (it's funny, coz itunes recognize my pc as new pc), so i got 2 pc authorized (actually only one with different version of windows). Can anybody help me to solve this problem? Thanks before

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:23 AM

A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

With Macs iTunes authorization is tied to the hardware but in Windows it is the instance of the operating system. Reinstalling or upgrading Windows without deauthorizing first should be avoided.

See also Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device to make sure you don't lose any data as a result of the rebuild.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 8:23 AM in response to janrysinaga

A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

With Macs iTunes authorization is tied to the hardware but in Windows it is the instance of the operating system. Reinstalling or upgrading Windows without deauthorizing first should be avoided.

See also Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device to make sure you don't lose any data as a result of the rebuild.

tt2

Nov 27, 2015 8:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks TT2. The problem is i got an app that already not in app store (sobotta atlas of anatomy) it seems they recalled the older version, and replaced it with a new one (and i have to buy it if i lost it from my ipad). And to download all the apps in my ipad will take somewhile..lol...(i got 39 GB 121 apps inside). But if i can't transfer em, i think i'll just hope apple will make something about that in future update.

Mar 20, 2016 7:10 AM in response to Keith Weisshar

I don't know why for certain, but my guess is that with Macs Apple are able to store the authorization information with other data that belongs to the system management controller, which can then be polled by whichever disk you boot up on. In Windows the authorization data is stored in /Users/Shared/SC Info on the system drive. New system, new SC Info folder.

tt2

apps didn't transferred in win 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.