Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too old to update?

I found an old 2nd generation iPod Touch I'd lost well over 5 years ago. I had to borrow a charger, and was surprised when it took and held a charge. It will connect to my WiFi. The OS is 2.2.1. I can't update it. I have three Macs and all have way too new iTunes. The iPod backup fails, and the attempt to install 4.2.1 fails with a meaningless code. The article pointed to is generic information, interesting but not helpful. Several of the built in apps fail. Weather works! Safari fails with all but the Apple website, and that loads incorrectly. I Tried App Store to see if I could get 4.2.1 that way. App Store also fails.

Clearly this relic is too old to update. Are there any other options, other than to find a relic Mac somewhere? Right now my only interest in updating is just to see if it can be done. But if I can, maybe it is worth $20 to someone on craigslist as a music player.

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:01 AM

4 replies

Too old to update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.