Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy & paste text WITH footnotes

Hi there!

Currently I am writing a thesis with Pages 5.6.1. I am writing my chapters in several documents and as a last step I wanted to join them to one document. But now I have a problem: When I copy the text of one document the footnotes are not copied aswell. 😕 Any ideas how I could fix this? 😊

Regards

Felilalu🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:10 AM

Using Pages v5.6.1 on El Capitan 10.11.1, I can copy a selection of text with a Footnote, and the Footnote entry from the bottom of the Page to another Pages v5.6.1 document. This only works if you are using a simple Paste, and not Paste and Match Style.

If you try to copy/paste Footnote content from an opened Pages '09 document (using Pages '09) into a Pages v5.6.1 document, then neither paste method will succeed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Felilalu

Using Pages v5.6.1 on El Capitan 10.11.1, I can copy a selection of text with a Footnote, and the Footnote entry from the bottom of the Page to another Pages v5.6.1 document. This only works if you are using a simple Paste, and not Paste and Match Style.

If you try to copy/paste Footnote content from an opened Pages '09 document (using Pages '09) into a Pages v5.6.1 document, then neither paste method will succeed.

Nov 27, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Felilalu

When using Pages v5.6.1, and with the history of Pages v5 (pick a release) of suddenly no longer opening a document, you would be advised to use TimeMachine, not use Dropbox (or any other cloud service), and keep a fresh copy of your thesis in an exported Word .docx format on a thumb drive. Too much time and effort in a thesis to gamble with Pages — which is not a Word clone.

University discounts for students allow you to get Office 2016 for Mac reasonably cheap. The key takeaway with Word 2016 is that you will be working in the Word native document format, and not what Pages v5.6.1 decides to translate on export. The last thing you want in submitting a thesis is that the reviewers are using Office 2013 on a PC and encounter formatting irregularities introduced by Pages.

Copy & paste text WITH footnotes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.