Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 09/OS X El Capitan: export project but no sound

Hi,

I am using iMovie 09 on a MacBook Pro (bought in 2009).

Before upgrading the OS X to El Capitan, all the projects I produced and exported are ok - good video, with some background music I added.

After upgrading the OS X to El Capitan, I can still produce projects - but after I export the project to a .mov file, the .mov file plays no sound. I have tried many times but the result is the same - good video, but no sound (i.e. without the background music I added).

Appreciate if anyone can help. Million thanks.!!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMovie 09

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:57 AM

2 replies

Dec 20, 2017 7:23 AM in response to gsut

I was having the same problem with iMovie 09' but on high sierra. I found a very specific set of steps that seemed to resolve the problem:

-make a small edit so that iMovie has to re-render the movie (i slightly adjusted the timing of a sound track)

-Share > export using QuickTime

video settings: H.264

audio settings: AAC

Save

-Wait for it to export

Then... Share > Export Movie...

For some reason this got it to export with sound. Very strange, but it worked.

Dec 22, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Curly Wong

Not sure if this solves your problem, but I had the same problem with I exported a video file using iMovie '09 after upgrading to El Cap.

In my case, I didn't add any background music, but the file that exported (using the "Share-->Export Movie" and then trying the "Share-->Export using QuickTime) had only video, no sound.

I ended up trying it again with a smaller file to test different settings. I used the "Export using QuickTime" and under the file type I chose "Movie to QuickTime Movie" and then clicked 'Options' and went through all of the video and audio options, including 'preview audio'.

After going through all of the Options, I then clicked 'save' and the final export had the sound and video.

Since doing this, I have been able to export as both QuickTime files and MPEG-4 files and the sound comes with the video.

Here are screenshots (in this example, I'm exporting under "Export using QuickTime" and chose "Movie to MPEG-4"):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

When I looked at the original files that had only video and no audio, only the video codec was exported, not the video and audio codecs.

Not sure why going through the exercise of looking at all of the "Options" tabs worked to export both the video and audio codecs but it did!

iMovie 09/OS X El Capitan: export project but no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.