Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Bootcamp slow disk? SSD upgrade?

Hello,

I have an iMac that I bought in January 2014.

The configuration is:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5

3.1 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Now, I run Bootcamp on Window 8, and I primarily use it for music production. I am facing glitches in my music software and it tends to be slow.

On Task Manager, performance on disk is almost always 100%, even when I am doing some non-music related work.

My question is: is my Hard Disk the main problem here, in order to have an optimal performance?

If yes, would upgrading it to Samsung 500GB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive resolve all my agonies and pains?

I really hope you can help me guys!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Bootcamp

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:28 AM

12 replies

Nov 30, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Venture91

With the assumption that it is a Late 2013 27-inch model (14,3 is not documented in Identify the model of your iMac - Apple Support though), most of these come ready for a Fusion drive which has two SATA connectors. In some cases it has three connectors (Fusion SSD, HDD and Optical drive).

You can add a SSD, if you have two/three SATA connectors. If you have only one, consider an SSHD, which is a 64G Flash+xTB HDD.

It does requires some effort, but using https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+Hard+Drive+Replacement/ 19643 you can replace disks, depending on how comfortable you are with hardware work. Coincidentally, the iFixit link shows a 1TB WD Blue in this specific set of images.

Nov 30, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Venture91

The corresponding disk guide is https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2638+Hard+Drive+Replacemen t/28781 .

You can get a 1TB SSD or an SSHD. You have two SATA connectors in your iMac as stated in iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications .

Storage1

1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Configurable to 1TB Fusion Drive or 256GB or 512GB of flash storage.

Nov 30, 2015 6:03 PM in response to Loner T

I will have to thank you for your fast and valuable replies, especially today when I have to order it on Cyber Monday.

I would not be comfortable to do it myself, so I will try to find someone who is an expert. What do you think the price would be?

Also, I am not sure which one should I order between those two:

Samsung 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD or Samsung 500GB 850 Evo mSATA SSD? The price is the same.

iMac Bootcamp slow disk? SSD upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.