Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I extend range of my Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11a,c) using an Airport Express Relay (802.11n). Airport Utility (V635.2) says that this version does not support the relay. What's up?

How can I extend the range of my Airport Extreme (802.11a,c) using an Airport Express (802.11n). The Airport Utility (V635.2) does not recognize the Express in its display? Do I need to buy hardware? I'm on a MacPro OS X 10.10.5. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:58 PM

The AirPort Utility that comes with OS X 10.10.5 supports both 802.11ac & 802.11n AirPort base stations. It should be able to configure both of your base stations for either an extended (wireless connected base stations) or roaming (Ethernet connected base station) types of wireless networks.

When initially setting up the extended network, it helps to keep both base stations in the same room. Once set up, you can move the extending base station to the desired location. The important key is the final placement of the extending base station needs to be within range of the one it is extending in order to maintain sufficient bandwidth at the remote station for network clients connected to it. Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 1:58 PM in response to joea21

The AirPort Utility that comes with OS X 10.10.5 supports both 802.11ac & 802.11n AirPort base stations. It should be able to configure both of your base stations for either an extended (wireless connected base stations) or roaming (Ethernet connected base station) types of wireless networks.

When initially setting up the extended network, it helps to keep both base stations in the same room. Once set up, you can move the extending base station to the desired location. The important key is the final placement of the extending base station needs to be within range of the one it is extending in order to maintain sufficient bandwidth at the remote station for network clients connected to it. Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details.

Nov 27, 2015 1:46 PM in response to joea21

The term "relay" was used on older "b/g" AirPort Express devices, so you might want to check to make sure that you really do have an 802.11n wireless Express.

If your Express has only one Ethernet port, look on the side of the device for the model number......it is hard to see with grey lettering on a white background, but the model number begins with an "A" followed by four numbers.

An 802.11n Express is model number A1264. If you see A1084 or A1088, these are older versions of the Express that would not be compatible with AirPort Utility 6.3 and up versions.

How do I extend range of my Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11a,c) using an Airport Express Relay (802.11n). Airport Utility (V635.2) says that this version does not support the relay. What's up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.