Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacPro will not boot. I get a grey and white screen. Keeps trying to reboot, but never makes it! Any advice please.

My MacPro's specs are below from a previous post. It will not boot, but keeps trying. I get the music chord if I turn it off and start again. Any advice please. Many thanks. Allan

Hardware Information: ℹ️

Mac Pro (Early 2008) (Technical Specifications)

Mac Pro - model: MacPro3,1

2 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU: 8-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable

DIMM Riser B/DIMM 1

1 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHz ok

DIMM Riser B/DIMM 2

DIMM Riser A/DIMM 1

2 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHz ok

DIMM Riser A/DIMM 2

2 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHz ok

DIMM Riser B/DIMM 3

DIMM Riser B/DIMM 4

DIMM Riser A/DIMM 3

Empty

DIMM Riser A/DIMM 4

Empty

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en2: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT - VRAM: 512 MB

HH281 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

DELL3007WFPHC 1600 x 2560

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.2 (14C109) - Time since boot: 20:27:26

Disk Information: ℹ️

ST3320820AS_P disk0 : (320.07 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Disk 1 - System (disk0s2) / : 319.21 GB (17.69 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

WDC WD5000AAKS-41YGA0 disk2 : (500.11 GB)

EFI (disk2s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

System Install Discs 1 & 2 (disk2s2) /Volumes/System Install Discs 1 & 2 : 16.11 GB (4.40 GB free)

Disc 2 (disk2s3) /Volumes/Disc 2 : 483.52 GB (291.34 GB free)

Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 disk1 : (1 TB)

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Dist 3 - 1TB (disk1s2) /Volumes/Dist 3 - 1TB : 999.86 GB (328.00 GB free)

USB Information: ℹ️

Prolific Technology Inc. IEEE-1284 Controller

Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet P2055dn

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

Logitech USB Receiver

Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

EPSON USB Printer

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:40 PM

Do you still have OSX 10.5.8?

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk if Lion or above

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Otherwise boot from install DVD and retain the startup disk

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

Run Apple hardware test. You will need one of the original installation disks

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

You may have a bad graphics card. The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT - VRAM: 512 MB are prone to failure

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 1:40 PM in response to allanfromcroydon

Do you still have OSX 10.5.8?

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk if Lion or above

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Otherwise boot from install DVD and retain the startup disk

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

Run Apple hardware test. You will need one of the original installation disks

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

You may have a bad graphics card. The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT - VRAM: 512 MB are prone to failure

Nov 28, 2015 6:18 AM in response to lllaass

Many thanks for the advice Illaass. I have Yosemite and pretty sure it's OS 10:10:5. That's what I have of this Macbook Air and usually keep them both the same.

I've been through all the suggested procedures, but still nothing. I keep getting the start-up musical chord which keeps repeating and I can hear the hard disc keep trying to start - clicks etc. Only one of my 2 screens shows a grey and white box type pattern.

The only discs I can find are the original Mac Pro discs - OS version 10.5.1 plus I have the disc for Mac OS X Leopard. That's all I can find I'm afraid.

I fear the HD is not working at all. Should I take it to a Mac repairer and do you know of a good one in South London? I live in Croydon.

My other option is to buy a new Mac Pro. What do you think?

Many thanks again for your help and advice.

Allan

Nov 28, 2015 7:11 AM in response to allanfromcroydon

Hi Allan

Doesn't sound like you need a new Mac Pro, but you might need a new HD.

Will it boot up from the your original Mac Pro discs? - Shut down the computer and restart while pressing the mouse button. This will open your DVD tray. Put your disc in. Restart computer holding down to C key which makes it boot from the drive. If you see a welcome screen, your computer is OK but your drive probably isn't.

Nov 28, 2015 8:52 AM in response to allanfromcroydon

The chime is generated and played in software when your Mac has successfully completed the Power-On Self Test. Your Mac Hardware is working.

If an appropriate source of System Software can be found, booting is likely.

The dark gray Apple appears only after it is loaded from a Boot device. No gray Apple means you did not successfully get the initial "blob" of boot-up software off the Boot Device.

The first disc of the 10.5 Installer DVDs is bootable, and cannot be corrupted. It also contain Utilities such as Disk Utility. To use the Utilities, Boot to the DVD (I recommend you hold down the Option key at Startup and see what potentially-bootable devices show after three minutes of searching.) Then select the DVD and tell it to proceed.

Answer only the "what language" question and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn. Then look on the Utilities menu for Disk Utility and run (Repair Disk) on you usual Boot drive. Re-run until it comes clean or gets stuck.

If it tells you to erase the drive because it is damaged, do not do that. Buy a new Drive and set the old one aside to attempt data rescue later.

Nov 29, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Chaps. I've just partly dismantled (hard drives, RAM cards, graphics card etc.), dusted and re-amsembled the MacPro as none of the other suggestions worked at all I'm afraid. I managed to insert the original Startup disc, sounded as though it was spinning, but nothing on screen. The opening 'chimes' now sound 5 times, then some activity from the boot HD, then 5 more 'chimes and this just keeps repeating the same sequence.

Could it be the graphics card do you think? How can I test it? One odd thing is that only one HDMI port seems to be working, but only with this faded grey & white rectangular-type pattern. Actually, that doesn't seem to work very often now also!

Does anyone know of a reliable Mac repairer anywhere near Croydon, Surrey? I think it is now beyond my capabilities to go any further I'm afraid.

Many thanks again for your help and advice. Best wishes. Allan

My MacPro will not boot. I get a grey and white screen. Keeps trying to reboot, but never makes it! Any advice please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.