Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel files in Time Machine are corrupt

None of the Excel files in my Time Machine backups will open. I get a message box: "Excel could not open [file name] because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook?" Then, if I click "open and repair", the message box reads: "the workbook cannot be opened or repaired by Microsoft Excel because it is corrupt."

My Word files in backup will open normally.

I would appreciate some assistance in troubleshooting this. Many thanks!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 11:27 AM

Paul,

You post sounds like you are attempting to locate a file in Time Machine and launch it while still in Time Machine. If that is correct, your work flow will not work. Time Machine is a backup and restore system. If you have an Excel file to restore then use Time Machine to do so and then double click it and it will open in Excel. This assumes your copy of Excel is working okay otherwise and is up-to-date.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 11:27 AM in response to paul_springfield

Paul,

You post sounds like you are attempting to locate a file in Time Machine and launch it while still in Time Machine. If that is correct, your work flow will not work. Time Machine is a backup and restore system. If you have an Excel file to restore then use Time Machine to do so and then double click it and it will open in Excel. This assumes your copy of Excel is working okay otherwise and is up-to-date.

Excel files in Time Machine are corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.