Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

500gb in Timeshare + 256gb SSD w/ New iMac = Hmm?

I'm looking at getting a new 21.5" iMac with a 256gb SSD. I wouldn't have minded the Fusion drives, but 128gb SSD is just not enough for all my programs. 😟

My current computer HDD is 500gb and is full--also backed up by Time Machine. My question is this:

When I setup the new iMac with the 256gb SSD, how can I transfer limited portions of the 500gb that I have from Time Machine to the new computer? I want all my programs to be on the SSD and then everything else on an external drive that I will connected. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:17 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2015 12:28 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I think you misunderstood my point, which is partly my fault, as I should have stated more it clearly. I want all my programs on the SSD, but because they won't all fit on a 128gb drive, I need the 256gb drive (otherwise, yes, that was the reason for being interested in the Fusion drive). So the questions: How can I put just my programs on that SSD without all the other documents from Time Machine and then put the remainder on my external drive when ready? Being new to Time Machine, I'm not familiar with what I can do--I just know that if I lose something, I can revert back to a previous time. So with that said, is it possible to just copy specific files over--like programs--without transferring all the backup information?

Dec 1, 2015 12:06 PM in response to nabbott

Dr.Mac is correct, you can selectivly restore files and folders to specific locations (i.e. External Hard Disk) however it is much more work. Below are some instructions on how to do so:

Open Time Machine and click the Gear Icon with the down arrow on the top bar and select Copy and the navigate to then exit Time Machine and navigate to the new location and paste the file or folder.

500gb in Timeshare + 256gb SSD w/ New iMac = Hmm?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.