Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro doesn't start - Boot progress 99% and shuts down

I'm having problems restarting my MacBookPro.

Last time I used it I did a shut down and finished ok.

Now that I'm trying to start it, it shows me a white background screen with Mac logo and in the bottom a boot progress bar that goes from 0 to almost 100%. Before it get to 100% (seems like 99%) it shuts down. Every time that I try is the same process.

I appreciate your help to know what can I do to complete the boot process and start my macbook

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:34 PM

Boot into Recovery and try running First Aid/Repair Disk

Recovery http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

9 replies

Dec 1, 2015 11:49 AM in response to my ginger

Hi My Ginger,

I didn't repair permissions, I don't remember seen a choice to do so, but I'll try again and let you know.

I did try booting in safe mode, I followed the instructions and keep pressed shift but couldn't access safe mode, I tried a couple of times with no success.

Is there any other way to access safe mode?

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2015 8:22 PM in response to edu_b+

Next time you try safe mode hold down and keep held down the shift key until you see the screen display A login screen. Do this while restarting.Where you will need to type in your password. If you have FileVault on you will need to type the FileVault password and then your user password. IN recovery when trying to reinstall, it is important to have a good internet connection. I prefer ethernet. What operating system are you running? You could try single user mode. Start up and press the S key. It will display a bunch of lines of print like a windows computer. Then type in /sbin/fsck -fy and hit return. if it says file system was modified then run the command again until it come back the macintosh hd volume appears to be ok.

Dec 1, 2015 8:22 PM in response to my ginger

I tried to enter safe mode (holding shift key) and also single user mode (pressing key S) but the booting system ignore this commands and jump right into the boot progress bar, and again, it goes all the way until almost 100% and shut downs.

The only key combination that works is the recovery (command+R). The Verify/Repair permissions buttons are disabled.

I tried the option of reinstalling OS X but the disk is blocked and cannot be unblocked. I think that the easiest solution is to restore from time machine backup. I might loose some files, but at least will have my macbook back

Thanks for your help!

Dec 2, 2015 10:45 AM in response to edu_b+

When you say disk is blocked,do you mean in disk utilities or from recovery, when in the recovery menu? Do you have FileVault enabled. When in recovery do you see any option to use terminal. If so, you can try and repair permissions from terminal using command line. https://gist.github.com/bzerangue/dca8fc2d63309ba2bd9f You may need to start by adding sudo to the command line first. As in sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Dec 2, 2015 6:18 PM in response to my ginger

In recovery I was able to use Terminal. I tried to repair permissions following the instructions that you provide me, but I got the following error:

"No installer packages can be found for this disk. Underlying error: 20: POSIX reports: not a directory"

When I use "sudo" before the repairPermissions command, I got a message "command not found"

My MacBook only has 1 hard drive. In disk utility I see the following:

500.11 GB TOSHIBA...

Macintosh HD

SuperDrive

disk1

OS X Base System

when I run repair disk to the first line (500.11 GB Toshiba) it finished without errors

but when I select the 2nd (Macintosh HD) and run Repair after checking

"Error: Disk utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat disk, and restore your backed-up files"

So I guess is the end of the story... I will have you format the disk and restore the old backup unless you have any other suggestions

Thank you so much!

Dec 3, 2015 9:05 AM in response to edu_b+

Disk utilities is not able to repair the Macintosh hard Drive. So yes you would have to reinstall the operating system from your restore partition. Ether by doing just a restore or by erase and restore. Just doing the restore without the erase may work as it will only install the operating system without doing anything to any apps you installed yourself. But since you have a Time Machine backup, Erase and install will not hurt as you can get all your personal stuff back using it. Otherwise, you would have to have a utility like Disk Warrior, if there was any hope to fix the Mackintosh Hard Drive. When you use restore to reinstall, use an ethernet connection as it is faster and more stable. Good luck with your restore and backup.

MacBook pro doesn't start - Boot progress 99% and shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.