Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a setting on my iMac to import photos from my camera into lightroom rather than into photos?

I would like to import photos from my camera/memory disc directly into Lightroom rather than into Photos on my new iMac. I used to be able to set Aperture as the destination on iPhotos, but that option doesn't appear available in Photos.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 11:05 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Harmon39

Compliments of MacWorld

"Launch Image Capture, connect your device, and make sure it is highlighted in the left column. Now choose what you want to have happen from the popup menu at the bottom of the column. Image capture will list all of the available photo programs; selecting one will set it as the default application for the camera. This means the program will launch when you plug in the device. You can also choose to have nothing happen when the camera is plugged in."

Nov 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Harmon39

To stop Photos from opening automatically when you plug your camera, just follow these few simple steps.

First off, plug in your camera into your Mac and open up the Photos Mac app (it should automatically open anyway!).

Next, click on the Import tab at the top of the window. Select your camera device under the Import tab.

In the upper-left corner of the window, uncheck the box marked “Open Photos for this device”

You can now close out of Photos and the app will no longer open whenever you plug in your camera.

To have Lightroom start automatically when you plug in your camera or card reader, choose Lightroom > Preferences (Mac OS). In General, look under Import Options and select Show Import Dialog When A Memory Card Is Detected.

Is there a setting on my iMac to import photos from my camera into lightroom rather than into photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.