Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alphabetize footnotes as required when using APA

Dear all,

for my thesis I use a APA template. I use the Pages feature of listing footnotes at at the end of the report, but I am not able to alphabetize them according to the APA reference model. Does anyone know how? Thanx!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:33 AM

There is no means to alphabetize document footnotes because 1) no version of Pages offers alphabetizing, and 2) the third-party WordService Sort Lines Ascending only works on body text, not document endnotes/footnotes.

If you truly value the energy and time that you put into your thesis, then use the latest MS Word (and any updates) available to you for your release of OS X. Most universities require their staff to standardize Macs and PCs on their respective MS Office implementations, because everyone is now on the same page — working on Microsoft documents in their native document format. Pages translates opened Word documents into its own proprietary internal data format, and translates again during export to Word or PDF. It never works on MS Word in a Microsoft native document format.

Send content exported from Pages to your Professors' and you may not impress them with document incompatibilities.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 12:33 AM in response to Eduard.vooren@han.nl

There is no means to alphabetize document footnotes because 1) no version of Pages offers alphabetizing, and 2) the third-party WordService Sort Lines Ascending only works on body text, not document endnotes/footnotes.

If you truly value the energy and time that you put into your thesis, then use the latest MS Word (and any updates) available to you for your release of OS X. Most universities require their staff to standardize Macs and PCs on their respective MS Office implementations, because everyone is now on the same page — working on Microsoft documents in their native document format. Pages translates opened Word documents into its own proprietary internal data format, and translates again during export to Word or PDF. It never works on MS Word in a Microsoft native document format.

Send content exported from Pages to your Professors' and you may not impress them with document incompatibilities.

Nov 29, 2015 12:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanx, VikingOS10! I have thought now of a different solution and workaround:

1. I selected the TOC and exported it to Numbers

2. I sorted the cells alphabetically and copied it

3. I placed a new square form over the TOC in Pages and filled it with the color white. This now hides the TOC.

4. I pasted the content from Numbers into the new field and formatted it

Bingo. A bit of work, but nevertheless with a great result!

Nov 29, 2015 3:24 AM in response to Eduard.vooren@han.nl

Unless your Uni is standardized on Mac and Pages, it will likely expect your thesis submission in MS Word, or PDF. You should test early whether Pages will faithfully export (translate) your custom handiwork to MS Word, and if the result is compatible with Word 2013 on a PC — potentially in use by the Uni thesis review staff.

Alphabetize footnotes as required when using APA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.