Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 Macbook Pro El Capitan crashing

I've been chasing a crash problem for a couple of weeks now. After a complete new install +Time Machine migration during setup, I have two types of crashes that occur after a few hours of normal use:

1) Mac screen goes black. Caps lock key still turns on and off, but can't get picture to come back.

2) Screen freezes. Everything is inoperable except that the mouse cursor still moves around.

I have to power off manually and power on-- twice. It will either go into jet engine mode on a gray screen after apple logo and loading bar appears and disappears, or it will show the apple logo, then go black screen and shut down.

Ready to show info from logs or Etrecheck, let me know what I can show you!

Willing to install from scratch and this time manually install programs and manually copy docs, if that's what it takes.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Early 2011

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:35 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Casalmard

Maybe I should post in the OS X forum. I'm typically used to someone walking me through an analysis to determine the problem. I would rather know what the likely cause is, rather than just go for another round of reinstalling and hoping.

And I thank you for the suggestions, but I'm doubtful phone support will offer much help, my MBP having exhausted all applecare and extensions. Unless you know something I don't!

Early 2011 Macbook Pro El Capitan crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.