Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access and sync iTunes from an External Hard Disk

Hi all, not sure anyone had the same problem. I have a large HD with a lot of music an movies (including my own!) on. Used to plug it into the MacBook Air, and was able to sync without problem. I don't have access to the MacBook Air any more, I have a brand new USB-C Mac Book (which I love). Surely there is a way I can do the same thing? Plug in the HD, access my HD iTunes library? I have copied the .itl file across, and still have it on my HD. But somehow, this does not want to copy across to the Mac Book. I previously was able to sync, even if I did not have the HD present - but not any more! Any help would be appreciated.

PS I have turned on Wifi Sync, so that should take care of the lack of USB-C to USB Hubs....

I am running all the latest version.

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:06 PM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 4:26 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the fast reply. That works, holding down the option key. However, it only allows it when the Hard Disk is connected. What I'd like to do is (as before), be also able to access the library when the HD is not present. It used to work before.... I don't quite get it to work.

All media is on the HD, an so is the ITL file. Do I have to copy this across?

Thanks for some wisdom!

Nov 28, 2015 5:23 AM in response to Arend Kuester

See Make a split library portable. You can copy the library files into local storage, but most management tasks in iTunes require access to the media, as of course does playback. You could potentially copy all of the library except the Movies on to local storage if that works for you, though you really ought to have at least two copies of everything in case a drive fails on you.

tt2

Access and sync iTunes from an External Hard Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.