Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Bug

I realize I have a lot of updating I need to do (been putting it off), but when I went to export my iPhoto library (tons of photos) before updating, some of the photos appear warped. When I click on that photo, a completely different photo opens. Any ideas what is going on? I'm worried that I'm going to lose some data and hoping someone here may have some insight. Thanks!

OS X 10.9.5

iPhoto 9.5.1

MacBook Air

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

500 GB Flash Storage

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:59 PM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2015 3:47 PM in response to SouthernAngel

Your problems are just beginning. Your waiting to update/upgrade is going to cause you extra grief because you will have to add at least this intermediate step described here:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

You will need to update iPhoto before transitioning to Photos because a later version of iPhoto is required to allow Photos to create its library.

In the future, I strongly recommend you perform each update/upgrade as it becomes available.

Mar 31, 2016 4:11 PM in response to SouthernAngel

backup your iPHoto library and then hold down the option and command keys while launching iPHoto - repair permissions , rebuild thumbnails and the rebuild the database- this should give you a working iPHoto library - once it is working well with iPhoto then upgrade to El Captain and Photos - that will be quick and easy (be sure to have a good backup prior to any repair or upgrade) - upgrading from iPHoto 9.5.1 to Photos works just fine

LN

Mar 31, 2016 4:19 PM in response to LarryHN

I really, really appreciate your help, LN! I was so relieved to see that things should work out after all. After repairing permissions/thumbnails, I'm no longer seeing any warping. Can I just upgrade to El Capitan/Photos and not do anything with the database? That's my inclination. Please forgive my late "Thank you"! (I'll spare you the details on why I'm just replying.)

iPhoto Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.