Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i don't have windows 7 need to restore backup

I decided to do a backup and restore today to try fixing some unrelated problems and now I am stuck!

I got to the point of trying to restore my backup from iTunes but then was prompted with the message "The iPad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. So I try to install an "update" and then get a message that the new iTunes is only compatable with windows 7 or greater. Well this is a problem for me because I am still in the stone age with XP machines. It would have been nice to know this before I embarked on this journey, because now I have useless backup data on an incompatible device that will not transfer to any of my apple devices!

Can I please have iTunes back that works on XP and is able to restore a backup to my iPad?!

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 4:00 PM

1 reply

Nov 27, 2015 4:11 PM in response to check123456check

You need to download and install iTunes 12.1.3 - this is an out of sequence release that enables iOS 9 support for XP and Vista users (though lacks Apple Music and other features added in 12.2/12.3, which require Windows 7 or later). Note, though, that some users have reported issues with this combination - since it seems highly unlikely that Apple will release any more updates for legacy Windows editions, you really should consider upgrading to a more recent edition or replacing your PC.

iTunes 12.1.3.6 / XP or Vista 32-bit: iTunesSetup.exe

i don't have windows 7 need to restore backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.