Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (late 2012) - Dead Screen. What to do next?

So my late 2013 iMac screen is on it's death bed. Joy! Must admit that I'm not that much of an Apple person, so I'm not sure of the best course of action. It will be the first apple product i get repaired. i usually attempt to do my own repairs because I'm usually on beater Ubuntu laptops, but cracking open an iMac is above my pay grade.

Please let me know if there is anything I'm missing or I should try first. I'm going to take it into an authorized repair shop or an Apple Store because I assume this is a hardware failure and there isn't a home repair I can try.

Symptoms: The screen is mostly black, except for some vertical blue lines. The uperp left corner is slightly visible, but extremely dark. At one point there was vertical white lines and a lot of flickering, but that space has gone completely black.

My assumption is either the back light or graphics card has gone bad.

Before I take it into the shop, I want to attempt a back-up. Yeah, I know... I have been bad and should have been backing up all along. i figure I have two options... see if I can SSH into it somehow or hook-up a second monitor. As of right now I don't have a second monitor, so I'm thinking about hitting up a second hand store and get something on the cheep that will work with it.

Questions:

Is my assumption correct that since I didn't set up a remote way to log into the iMac than I can't do it now? Or is SSH setup be default?

Also.... Is it easy to setup a 2nd monitor on an iMac when the primary screen is dead?

My plan is to somehow run a final backup via SSH or a second monitor before I take it into the shop.

Is there anything else I should try?

THANKS!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:14 PM

There are no replies.

iMac (late 2012) - Dead Screen. What to do next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.