Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configure iTunes to quit on Sleep

I am looking for a way to make iTunes quit when the computer enters Sleep. (iTunes 12.3, Mavericks) See why below*

I have found scripts for quitting after it's been idle for X time, but I don't know if that's what I want.

I also don't want anything I have to trigger manually, since if I trusted myself to remember to do that, I could just trust myself to quit iTunes!

I found 'SleepWatcher," but it all the documentation is 1) several years old and 2) relies on a lot more familiarity than I have with Terminal....

And notions?

*(Short version, it's part of setting up my iTunes to sync via Dropbox, and iTunes freaks out if more than one version of the same library is in use at one time. I have a script that will quit iTunes on one computer if I open it on the other, but only as long as I'm on my home WiFi network. Since DB is always updating, if I open iTunes on my laptop when I'm not at home, and it can't quit iTunes on my desktop, it will panic and make a conflicted copy of the library, which defeats the whole purpose. OK, maybe not so short version...)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 27&" 3.4 Ghz Core i7

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 3:15 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Ravenmoon

If I understand this correctly you're connecting multiple instances of iTunes to a Dropbox located library but only one instance of iTunes can be active on the library at a given time?

Why would you go through this when you could use iTunes in the Cloud via Apple Music or iTunes Match and let Apple manage multiple connections to a shared library? Its really not that expensive if cost is the reason.

Nov 28, 2015 9:55 AM in response to morrispe

Several reasons. One, I already have 1TB on Dropbox for other uses, so there's no reason to pay for another service on top of that. Besides, I have almost 100GB of music. Even with Apple's lower fees, 200GB x 12 months at $4 is still $48 bucks, a waste since I already pay $100 a year for DB. (Not to mention I find it obnoxious on principle that Apple hasn't figured out a way for me to sync MY music on whatever service I like; why should I be forced to use iCloud?)

Second, I am running Mavericks for the present (also for unrelated reasons) on both machines, and the Cloud is...let's just say idiosyncratic working with that OS. Third, from what I have read, iTunes Match either doesn't work or works erratically with music not purchased from iTunes. SInce that is well over 3/4 of my music library, 'm not to enthused about that option.

(Read more on this issue here: Sync iTunes between Macs

And yes, I have tried HomeSharing which doesn't do even remotely what I want I to do. What I have configured works perfectly. I can even sync my phone to either device without conflict, because it is the same library. So all I want to add to my setup is a way to quit iTunes if, for example, I leave the house in a hurry and don't close it.

Do you have a suggestion for that?

Configure iTunes to quit on Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.