Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac reinstall problem

HI All,

having a weird problem. I have just bought a new iMac, so i have been preparing the old one (2008) for sale. It was running Lion, so I created a thumb drive with an install of Lion, booted from it, then securely erased the hard disk. Then I installed lion. I left it overnight, now today it's gone crazy. The screen is completely black, like it's dead, but it seems to boot up ok, then it starts talking to me about VoiceOver. Booting from the thumb drive gives the same result. Tried safe mode, same result.

Help!

P

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 3:01 PM

6 replies

Nov 27, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Pete Hambly1

I'm not sure what you did but you did it wrong. You cannot sell the 2008 with Lion installed. Use the 10.6.x install discs that you used to upgrade to 10.6.x. Then do an erase of the computer using Disk Utility and install 10.6.x and then let the new owner install any OS beyond 10.6.x. You DO NOT want to install Lion or later because they are tied to your AppleID.

Nov 28, 2015 12:59 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your help.

I can't find my snow leopard update disk - I must have lent it to someone. So I tried with the original disks that came with the computer (version 10.5.4) Pressed C while booting up, lots of appropriate noises coming from the CD drive, seems to be booting up OK, but the screen is still completely dead. Argh.

I clearly need to erase the HD somehow. Would target disk work? I will need to get a firewire cable if so.

THanks again

P

Nov 28, 2015 4:25 AM in response to Pete Hambly1

OK, update.

I hooked it up via firewire and erased the disk using another mac. (discovering in the process that FW400 and FW800 have different physical connectors. Luckily my laptop-before-last with the knackered screen has a FW400 port) Anyway, same problem. The screen seems to be switched off, everything else is working fine. I have zapped the PRAM a couple of times to no avail.

Obviously there might be a hardware problem with the screen, but it's a bit of a coincidence.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

P

iMac reinstall problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.