Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple store support

Nov 21, my daughters macbook pro 17 died. We rebooted - ran a while, then died. We managed to run TTP - diagnostics were clean. Battery good - it would just blink off - sometimes with a messed up screen first (vertical lines). I checked everything I could - we called apple, made an appt at the nearest store (2+ hours away), jumped in the car and drove through the end of a snow storm to get there. Genius bar guy plugged it in, ran some tests - said "This machine is one with a known bad video, it will be repaired no cost but we have to send it in, when fixed it will be shipped to your home." That was saturday the 21. It wouldn't ship until 23rd, monday morning. It gets shipped to California - my daughter gets a call on the 25th: "The problem isn't what they said - it has to be repaired at the store and it will be $300 something dollars. Maybe you can get it back my next monday." She calls today, two days later and is told "its still sitting here in california on the shelf". There was some mixup - after some appropriate loud discussion, they say they will fix it there, ship it to the store for more diagnostics and she can pick it up next week. (another two+ hour drive). She asked to speak to a supervisor - and was told, no one was available.

So, 6 days later - it MIGHT be fixed at Apple's facility. MAYBE in a day or so shipped to Indianapolis. MAYBE in another day or so, be checked out by store staff and MAYBE she'll get a call to come get it and MAYBE only have to pay $300+.

BUT why would the store have to run further diagnostics? What are the chances it gets to the store and STILL has a problem? What are the chances she was told the truth and it will be fixed in California before being shipped back?

I have been a loyal Apple customer since the Macintosh days (as are most of my kids). I purchased dozens of macs for my staff before I retired. I have 6 running right now in my house. I realize that is nothing compared to the billions Apple makes every year, but its a Lot to me.

To me, this is a huge screw up. To my daughter who depends on her machine for her daily work at home job, its bigger than HUGE.

Does someone at Apple want to step up to the plate on this one?

Oh, and I'm complaining here because we've done the phone thing. If we can't get to someone in half a dozen calls, then your system is broken!

mgg

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), also, Mac Pro, iphone, ipad

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:57 PM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2015 7:23 PM in response to michael gardner

Michael,

This is a user to user support community and you aren't speaking to Apple here. Unfortunately we can't assist you with this negative hardware support experience. I suggest you call the store and ask to speak to the store manager or senior genius bar manager. Review the history of the support case with them and be nice but firm and express your concerns. Let them know how important it is to have a working system back asap.

The 17" models haven't been made in several years now so as your system is off warranty its not surprising that there would be a charge to have it repaired. Parts availability could also be an issue for this repair which could be why they wanted to ship it offsite for repair. Depending on the price quote you'll need to weigh the option of having it repaired vs replacement. If you're 2hrs from the nearest Apple Store you could also look into a local authorized Apple repair shop.

I've had a few issues with Apple repairs but overall the service has been great. It really is painful though when things like this happen. Hope it works out.

Nov 28, 2015 10:12 AM in response to morrispe

Just like an Apple customer service rep. I never expected to not pay. That wasn't the issue. The issue(s) were being told free, being told it was a specific problem, being told how and when it would be taken care of - all of which were wrong. IF I KNEW WHERE TO CONTACT APPLE THAT I COULD GET SOMEONE BESIDES A DROID THAT SAYS THEY CAN'T HELP AND DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN, I'd be talking to them.

I hoped someone might read this that would provide some way past the automated answering systems. You can't even call an Apple store and ask for the manager - you get forwarded to a someone sitting a thousand miles away that takes appointments.

Isn't there an Ombudsman somewhere? A trouble, trouble shooter?

mgg

Nov 28, 2015 10:41 AM in response to michael gardner

IF I KNEW WHERE TO CONTACT APPLE THAT I COULD GET SOMEONE BESIDES A DROID THAT SAYS THEY CAN'T HELP AND DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN

Is that machine still covered by Applecare? Apple usually provides support for a product at a minimum for the duration of Applecare, which is 3 years; however, they sometimes stock parts for up to 5 years. If not, I think it is unfortunate that the problem appears to be difficult to determine, but, on the other hand, very fortunate that Apple is spending much time testing and trying to get it right. You can try calling the regular tech support line 800-275-2273 and ask the initial rep to get you to a Senior Advisor (tier 2); or you can try this Customer Service number 800-676-2775 - I do not know if that number still works; I was given it some years ago. Or, you can write to Apple corporate (see under Contact Us at bottom of page).

FWIW, shouting at your fellow users is neither helpful nor appreciated. We do not work for Apple and do not get paid - we volunteer our time to help other users. And, your daughter might want to consider the fact that this machine is older and more difficult to service and might want to start looking for something more recent.

apple store support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.