Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the Apple ID required to update Apps on Mac?

So I got this Mac a while ago, but now my mom's using it now. She's got an user of her own, and my user is just sitting here, I don't use it frequently.
The problem is everytime an update is needed, the computer asks for my Apple ID, and not my mother's. How do I make it so she can use her Apple ID to update the apps (and possible OS updates as well)? By "the apps" I mean Apple pre-installed software, like Safari and whatnot.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:36 PM

You can't. If you need this Mac to be registered to your mother, then you will need to erase the HDD and start over. You will need to set it up using her Apple ID. And then she will need to purchase any software that she wants from the Mac App Store with her own Apple ID.

OS X and Mac App Store content can only be updated by the Apple ID that bought it.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X El Capitan 10.11.1; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 2.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 9.1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 7:36 PM in response to Wacampos

You can't. If you need this Mac to be registered to your mother, then you will need to erase the HDD and start over. You will need to set it up using her Apple ID. And then she will need to purchase any software that she wants from the Mac App Store with her own Apple ID.

OS X and Mac App Store content can only be updated by the Apple ID that bought it.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X El Capitan 10.11.1; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 2.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 9.1

How do I change the Apple ID required to update Apps on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.