Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan upgrade printer problems (Canon MP620 printer).

I just upgraded to El Capitan and had to replace my harddrive on my desktop Mac. No I cannot print from my Canon MP620 printer. Any adive or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:40 PM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2015 7:59 PM in response to dnj@ret24yrs

Please describe how you connect to the printer (WiFi or USB) and exactly what problems you are having.

In general, to set up a USB printer on a Mac, you would do the following:

1) Trash the DVD that comes in the box with the printer (the software is generally old, unnecessary, and undesirable)

2) Plug it in.

3) Mac OS may prompt and ask if it's okay to download the required printer drivers.

4) That's it, you are done and can now print

In general, to set up a WiFi printer on a Mac, your would do the following:

1) Trash the DVD that comes in the box with the printer (the software is generally old, unnecessary, and undesirable)

2) Use the control panel on your printer to join it to your WiFi network (the same network that your Mac is using)

3) Open "System Preferences" > "Printers and Scanners" and check that your printer is now listed

4) That's it, you are done and can now print

Nov 27, 2015 8:32 PM in response to dnj@ret24yrs

Try:

1) Disconnect the USB cable to the printer

2) Click the Apple menu > "System Preferences" > "Printers & Scanners", select the printer on the left, click the "-" at the bottom left to remove the printer

3) Reboot your Mac

4) Click the Apple menu > "App Store..."

5) Click "Updates" in the upper right of the App Store, then install all updates available for Mac OS or printers

6) Wait for all updates to be installed and then reboot

7) Plug in the USB cable to your printer and make sure it's powered on.

8) Wait a minute and then try to print a document.

If that doesn't work, then try a different USB cable, and then try calling Canon for support. Canon and Brother current make some of the best peripherals in the business so they should be willing to give you some support.

Nov 28, 2015 9:38 AM in response to FishingAddict

I've done as you directed. I replaced the USB cable but it didnt change anything. Everytime I try to print, the printer query box opens and says the item is printing but then nothing happens even after letting it sit for several minutes. The printer warms up and makes some noises as if itabout to print but then does nothing. After a few minutes it goes back into sleep mode.

Nov 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to dnj@ret24yrs

If you replaced your hard drive then you have no software for the printer installed. Go to the canon website and download if available the latest software for 10.11. Some printers work better with the manufactures software.

El Capitan upgrade printer problems (Canon MP620 printer).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.