Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot open my grayed out image files with bad creation/modified dates! Help!

I am in desperate need of help.

I have a bunch of RAW image files that are grayed out with bad creation/modified dates. It says I took the photos in the year 2040 but that I modified them in the year 1984. I've tried using "A better finder attribute 5", I've tried manually changing them, I've tried using Lightroom, nothing is working. I can't seem to make Terminal work. I need help!

I have no idea how to fix this but I have to have these files opened. I don't know much if anything about using terminal so if someone could help me with a step by step way to correct this I would be so grateful! These are client files and I have to have them! I still have no idea why some of these are messed up and the rest are fine?

Please help!

User uploaded file

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:10 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2015 1:33 PM in response to tatumpd2013

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Select the text on the line below by dragging across it. Don't include the blank space at the end of the line. Only the text should be highlighted.

touch -t 198001010000

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V, then press the space bar.

Now switch to the Finder and and select all the item(s) in question. If there are thousands of items, only select a hundred or so. Drag into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear. You can then quit Terminal.

Relaunch the Finder. You should now be able to access the files as usual. The modification dates will still be inaccurate, but they'll be corrected the next time you modify the files.

I cannot open my grayed out image files with bad creation/modified dates! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.