Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unpartitioning Mac Hard drive

I made the mistake of partitioning the hard drive so I could play a game but messed up the process. I gave up and just wanted to get my space back from the partition. I looked up countless guides that told me to simply click partition on the main drive and click erase, but I get a weird complicated panel. I don't know if its just the new operating system Mavericks that's messing it up or I somehow messed up the process. But I NEED HELP! I tried clicking partition on the partition, but it didn't work either. PLZ HELP!User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:22 PM

1 reply

Nov 27, 2015 10:47 PM in response to Imlegallyblind

You have a physical disk which has Free Space, but the Logical volume Macintosh HD has lost that space when you partitioned the drive. Please post the output of the following Terminal commands (Disk Utility does not provide such detail).

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Unless your Mac has stopped functioning (which is unlikely), you can continue to use it as it is, as long you do not further partition your disk.

Unpartitioning Mac Hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.