Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Needs to fix your library & A keychain cannot be found

User uploaded file

These two errors have been coping on my iMac 27 2013 model with OS X version 10.11.1 El Captain

First as soon as I log it gives me an error that OS X Needs to fix your library. But now lately the computer will start and come with the screen shot that is attached to this. The system will ask me to enter my iCloud ID and password and will not let me click on the two error boxes no matter what I do.

I can enter the password and the wheel will start spinning and nothing happens. I used to wait for 10-15 minutes, but now I just wait for a couple of minutes and do a forced shut down and restart. At which point it let me log in again without errors.

I tried quiet a few different things mentioned on these discussion boards, but nothing is helping.

iBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:34 PM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 8:31 PM in response to patelsr

Please back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nosappnd,noschg,nosunlnk,nouappnd,nouchg,nouunlnk {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Nov 28, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank You Linc Davis.

I have seen the solution that you suggested before and it did not work in the past. I still tried it again, but no luck. Attached is also the first step that was suggested

User uploaded file

The second step where I start the iMac in recovery mode, I do get the 4 options, I can select it, but when I click on Continue it just ignores the Continue and stay there - no matter what I select, Time Machine, Re-Install, Safari....

I can't even bring up the Terminal window through the command windows. The whole screen just sits there. The mouse pointer moves, the tab works on the key board, but everything else does not work.

I have to to forced re-booot by pressing the power button and start allowed again. I did try the resetp command when the computer finally brings up all things correctly but then the response I get back is what is attached - "Command.not found"

I appreciate your help in this and hopefully there are some other step that I can do that will bring a stop to this.

Sincere ThanksUser uploaded file

Nov 28, 2015 2:33 PM in response to patelsr

If you've just changed your login password in Recovery mode, follow these instructions. Otherwise, see below.

At some point, you may have reset your login keychain in Keychain Access. That action would cause the keychain to be renamed.

Please back up all data before proceeding.

In Keychain Access, delete the login keychain from the keychain list. Choose Delete References when prompted, not Delete References & Files.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V), and press return. A folder will open. Rename the file "login.keychain" in that folder to something like "login-old.keychain". Rename the file "login_renamed_1.keychain" to "login.keychain". You can then close the folder.

Back in Keychain Access, select

File Add Keychain...

from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file you named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for each item transferred.

OSX Needs to fix your library & A keychain cannot be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.