Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will time machine automatically back up a WD passport when its plugged into the time machine instead of the macbook?

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro with a WD passport for mac that i keep all my pictures on. I know time machine will back it up if i plug it into the mac and select to un exclude it through time machine preferences, which i have done, but i generally keep the passport plugged into the time machine itself and use it wirelessly.

However, I don't actually know if time machine is backing it up this way, or if it is just a wireless router that lets me access the passport.

How can i tell if it is being backed up? And if not, how can i back it up while it is plugged into the time machine?

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 9:58 PM

Unfortunately, it appears as if you are confused about the terms Time Machine and Time Capsule.

Time Machine is software on your Mac that is used to back up your Mac to a hard drive.....like a Time Capsule

A Time Capsule is hardware....specifically a wireless router with a built in hard drive that can be used to store Time Machine backups.

With that information in mind, can you clarify what it is that you want to do?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 9:58 PM in response to Halst21

Unfortunately, it appears as if you are confused about the terms Time Machine and Time Capsule.

Time Machine is software on your Mac that is used to back up your Mac to a hard drive.....like a Time Capsule

A Time Capsule is hardware....specifically a wireless router with a built in hard drive that can be used to store Time Machine backups.

With that information in mind, can you clarify what it is that you want to do?

Nov 30, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Halst21

I was hoping to back up my wd external hard drive when it is plugged into the time capsule. But it appears it can't be done this way, I have to plug it into the MacBook.

Time Machine will only backup a Mac and a hard drive connected directly to a Mac....so if you plan to use Time Machine, then the WD drive will need to be connected directly to your Mac if you want it backed up.

A third party application like Carbon Copy Cloner or ChronoSync would be able to back up the WD drive to the Time Capsule if the WD drive were connected to the Time Capsule......but these would obviously not be Time Machine backups.

Will time machine automatically back up a WD passport when its plugged into the time machine instead of the macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.