Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't eject external drive

Setting up a brand new iMac today ... plugged in an external drive to do Carbon Copy Clone, and have been unable to eject the disk. I keep getting a message saying "The disk wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it."

But none is. Carbon Copy is closed, and nothing else is using it.

I added the disk to the Spotlight:Privacy page, so it's not being indexed. But it's hours later, and the disk still won't eject. I know I can Force Eject it, but I'd rather not. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:01 PM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Roger Barre

getting the same thing.. so annoying.. i'll be on with Apple support once again with this brand new computer.. nothing but problems with this computer.. randomly rebooting etc....

But to add to this thread.... having issue with backup disk... i will get an error that says it failed to back up... then I can't eject the external disk cause of the same error you are all stating...

I can force eject it.. then replug in the drive into the hub and it works fine... not really a long term solution of course!

Ugg.

Can't eject external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.