Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop HTML5 autoplay

The autoplay adverts in so many websites are maddening. I've disabled Flash already, but it hasn't stopped the videos from auto-starting.

I can only assume they are HTML5.

I can deactivate Java which stops the videos, but then the page doesn't load correctly.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Safari 9.0.1

OS X 10.11.1

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 6:18 PM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2015 11:41 AM in response to barks55

Not sure it will work in the version you have but it does work in 9.0.2 on El Capitan

Within Safari....Preferences, security tab.

You should have a list of plug-ins, on the left, that the sites use to give you both pop-ups and auto playing java or silverlight video and sound. Select each one on the left and it will show you another list to the right. From there, each site has the option to block, allow or ask each time it tries to start up a video or pop-up.

Hop this helps on your version.

Dec 12, 2015 12:01 PM in response to barks55

You will likely want to install an ad blocker to make your browsing experience far safer, faster, and less annoying. I agree that auto playing or other aggressing ads are obnoxious).

For Safari, I would recommend uBlock (https://www.ublock.org/).

For Chrome, uBlock Origin is available instead from the Chrome Store.

In addition, allowing Java plugin to run in your browser at any time is a major security threat. If you do knot know of a specific reason to have Java on your Mac, then you should completely uninstall it. Any website is still requiring Java plugin to function in 2015 should be abandoned.

How do I stop HTML5 autoplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.