Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save to or open pages from iCloud

I recently noticed that any documents I create using Pages on my MacBook Pro (El Capitan) won't save to iCloud. I can save documents to my PC's hard drive and to DropBox and then can re-open them just fine. However, when using Pages (v 5.6.1) on my desktop Mac, I can neither save documents to iCloud or open documents previously saved to iCloud. I had been able to create, open and save to iCloud from all my devices but I notice that only my iPhone and iPad (both using the mobile versions of Pages) can open and save documents to iCloud. Somewhere, sometimes my MacBook Pages stopped.

Is the desktop version of Pages not compatible with iCloud. If something is wrong with my computer, who do I fix it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:53 PM

4 replies

Nov 28, 2015 12:59 AM in response to UGADog

It said Pages - iCloud.

By the way, I ended up uninstalling/deleting Pages, Keynote, and Numbers and reinstalling them. That seems to have done the trick. I can now open my documents from iCloud again.

Oddly, before my fix, if I saved Pages documents to my hard drive (i.e. desktop) and DropBox, I was able to pull them up just fine again. However, any document saved into or coming from iCloud would not open. Weird.

Anyway, my fix seems to be working so far. Thanks for the reply though.

Jan 10, 2016 4:37 AM in response to dennistanner

Pages '09 v4 expects, and can only open its own documents containing the internal index.xml file. If you have left Pages '09 running, and attempt to open a Pages v5 document (does not contain index.xml) in it, you get that missing index.xml file dialog. Quit Pages '09, and open the Pages v5 document in your version of Pages 5.

Cannot save to or open pages from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.