Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook Pro to get?

I am going to trade my Sony Vaio Fit from 2011 (touchscreen, windows 10, 12 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, third gen i7) for a MacBook Pro, and I got two choices. A MacBook Pro from Early 2013 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD or a MacBook Pro from Late 2013 with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Which one do you recommend me to get? It is going to be my first Mac and I am a bit excited, I study Electrical Engineering and I need to use circuit simulation programs and planning to install Windows 10 with Boot Camp. Just have a couple of days to decide. Thank you very much.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:48 PM

Definitely the Early 2013 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.

You don't want anything less than 8GB of RAM. The RAM is point of purchase only, you will not be able to upgrade.

The storage can be user upgraded on this Retina model, but will break your 1 year warranty.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012- Drive-Internal-Flash

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan(10.11.1), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS9.1, Parallels10.0.2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 9:48 PM in response to karahbit

Definitely the Early 2013 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.

You don't want anything less than 8GB of RAM. The RAM is point of purchase only, you will not be able to upgrade.

The storage can be user upgraded on this Retina model, but will break your 1 year warranty.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012- Drive-Internal-Flash

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan(10.11.1), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS9.1, Parallels10.0.2

Nov 28, 2015 6:17 AM in response to karahbit

Go with the Early 2013 model, you are going to need the extra storage space, and if you are running Boot Camp it will be handy to have a bit extra RAM (or just in general, you can never have to much RAM). Something to keep in mind, 256gb isn't much, especially if you are running Boot Camp, I would probably be inclined to upgrade the SSD to a higher capacity or have an external Hard Drive maybe even a high capacity USB to keep all my files on.

Hope this helps 🙂

Which MacBook Pro to get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.