Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain gmail passwords new iPhone

I bought a new 6S Plus and restored my data from my old iPhone 4s. I backed up my 4S to my Air (El Capitan) and then restored to my new iPhone.

All went well except some passwords didn't make the cut. I have a 20 Gmail accounts (don't ask) and none of the passwords transferred over.

Do I have to manually enter all of these? And do I have to get device specific passwords for each one?

PS - Gmail and Apple are getting less and less compatible / friendly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Kind Regards - Malacca.

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:10 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 10:18 PM in response to Dan.Kroc

Dan.Kroc wrote:

Do I have to manually enter all of these?

Yes. As I recall, email account passwords must always be re-entered each time a new iPhone is set up. (This may not be true if you use an encrypted backup - it is true if you do not encrypt your backup.)

Dan.Kroc wrote:

And do I have to get device specific passwords for each one?

I would not think so.

Dan.Kroc wrote:

PS - Gmail and Apple are getting less and less compatible / friendly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

iCloud mail is certainly compatible with Apple 🙂

keychain gmail passwords new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.