Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3.1.23 Reordering Playlist

OSX 10.11 - iTunes 12.3.1.23 running. I have 5 iPod Classics so I would like to manage my music as I see fit but APPLE keeps futzing with iTunes, adding some functions/features programmers think are cool or are improvements and then they take away useful function that should have been left alone.

In the past I could reorder my playlists to change up what I hear in the car or yard, boombox I built, etc. What I was able to do was click on the leftmost column of my Music and the songs would be reordered when I clicked. When I clicked again the songs would go back to default of Artist sequence and when I clicked again the songs would be in a different order.

Now the sort order is determined by the righthand option ∨ sort. First, there is no Manually Manage option in the drop down and I have Sort By: Playlist Order as there is no other good randomizing choice. If I click on the leftmost column in the playlist all it does is toggle between the frozen Playlist Order and Artist Order. So, the option of doing any kind of song reorder is lost unless I choose another option from the Sort By dropdown.

This is not satisfactory and another lost function unless there is a solution!!

Just for clarification, one particular playlist (Smart) as an illustration is 4405 songs so I don't wish to move songs around as it is a lot of work. The loss of function means I can no longer reorder my playlists after each sync to get a much different sequence each time. Plus, with the 5 iPods, I don't want the same order on each of them.

Am I stuck with the functions I've described here?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:58 PM

edit -- first paragraph 'leftmost column of my Playlist'

I believe this also worked for my Music but can't remember.

2 replies

iTunes 12.3.1.23 Reordering Playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.