Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro 2011 error with apple ID so can't download operating system and can't use USB as start up disc

I've tried to wipe and reformat a second hand macbook pro (2011) with several errors and am now stuck!

Problem 1 Deleted all data from the hard drive as it had previous owners stuff on it. The hard drive is partitioned, 2 partitions, both OSX. I cannot remove the partition in disc utilities in recovery mode, both partitions unmount, but the master drive will not meaning the process will not complete.

Problem 2 Cannot download Yosemite from the web. When in Disc utility in recovery mode, we go through the steps to download Yosemite (the computer's last downloaded operating system) but when the user's apple ID is input, the error 'apple ID is for the UK store, you will be switched to that store' wait a few mins, no spinning disc, nothing happens. Try again, error appears "this service is currently unavailable please try later". Try a different apple ID same result. Create a new apple ID, try that, no result. Restart, try again, same result.

Then created 8GB MAC formatted USB drive to use as start up disc. Formatted drive and Downloaded El Capitan, used terminal to transfer download file to USB drive. Plugged into Mac Pro which now auto starts in recovery mode. Tried Holding down command button or 'C' no result, still in recovery mode. Tried using disc utility to restore from USB drive, error appears 'this disc cannot be restored please restart your computer in recovery mode and try again'. Getting seriously frustrated. Exit disc utility, try using start up disc, USB drive cannot be seen here, although it can be seen in disc utility.

HELP!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 3:03 AM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2015 3:44 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks lllaass,

However am wondering if this would work seeing as I can't start the mac in any other mode apart from Recovery. Depressing command does nothing with current set up, why would it be different here I wonder?

When you say start up disc do you mean USB or main drive? The main drive is fine no errors, repair comes back clean.

If you mean USB drive, there doesn't seem to be a problem with this on other computers and disc utility on the erring one sees it fine and sees the El Capitan start up file fine too, just can't seem to make use of it.

Mac pro 2011 error with apple ID so can't download operating system and can't use USB as start up disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.