Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s wont boot after battery replacement

Hello,

My wife's phone was shutting down when battery was at 60% charge, so I thought it's time for a replacement.

I bought an "original" "new" battery from an apparently legit shop (invoice, warranty) and proceeded to the replacement.

The new battery is fully drained. Actually, I thing is dead as it has 0V of charge (or probably it has a short circuit). I thing the battery is an old one and they changed the chip so it would say 0 charge cycles. I'll post a side by side photo of new vs old. Notice the bottom area of the battery, where the connector is, has been tempered with.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I changed the battery with the initial one and tried to boot up and it gets stuck on apple logo (see video below).

I cannot go to recovery mode, the connect to iTunes never shows. I entered DFU mode, computer tries to recover, but when it restarts the phone the later goes to boot loop again.

Any ideas?

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:44 AM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2015 8:33 AM in response to costinu

There are no user serviceable components in an iPhone, nor does Apple sell

replacement parts. By allowing an unauthorized 3rd party to work on your iPhone,

you have voided your warranty and are no longer eligible for a reduced price

Out of Warranty replacement.

Return the iPhone to the 'legit shop' and have them repair or replace the iPhone.

Dec 18, 2015 1:20 PM in response to costinu

Go to ifixit.com

They have been around for years, providing parts and do-it-yourself fixit manuals since the invention of the first Apple anything. They have tons of parts for every Apple product out there. I've used them numerous times for various items. Likely why I have 15+ year old Apple products that work like brand new. I am all about reuse and repair. This idea of use and throw away "because it can't be fixed" is rubbish. If you know how to use a screwdriver and/or have the appropriate torx drivers/splungers, you are good to go.

They have a great 4s battery replacement kit, along with videos. Sounds like you got a bad battery. Send it back and get your money back. Get a different battery and try again.

Dec 18, 2015 10:51 PM in response to Admiral

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. ifixit.com was my first choice, but it was urgent and had no time to wait for delivery (about a week) so i decided to go local. The problem now is that something in the phone is broken, probably the main board. I went back to the store, they also concluded that the phone is dead, but don't want to admit that the battery they sold me is the problem. So I made a formal complaint to the Nation Authority for Customer Protection and am waiting for their reply, though I'm not very optimistic. Meanwhile, I bought a new phone for my wife, this time not an apple.

Dec 22, 2015 10:42 PM in response to costinu

Just in case anyone else is reading this: if you are in the States, Fry's Electronics has the iFixit kit in their store. Batteries Plus has a RayoVac version (complete with the tools) as well. So if you can't wait for an online order and one of these stores is near you, you might head over and see if they have one sitting on their shelf.

I just went and bought an iFixit kit for my 4s today at Fry's. No date on the battery, but it looks clean/new. I followed the iFixit photos/directions and took my time, no rushing. Took me about 25mins. It was quite easy to do, no issues. Screws are very, very tiny, so look at all the photos first, and work in a well lit and uncluttered area. The box for the iFixit kit is perfect to store the removed screws while you are swapping batteries.

I did discover a very, very small tube shaped piece of sponge? that looked like it was wrapped in silver netting. I scanned the iFixit photos and spotted it in the very left hand bottom corner of the phone in the photo. It appears to be some sort of very tiny bumper? padding? I put it back in place, close up the case and the phone fired up. It is charging now, so we'll see how long this battery lasts. Not sure what for life expectancy.

iPhone 4s wont boot after battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.