Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any problem to upgrade OS X 10.5.8 to version 10.6.3

I want to upgrade my Mac book pro operating system from version 10.5.8 to version 10.6.3. Can anyone tell me whether this is possible? Do I get any problems with such an update?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 11:41 PM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 1:15 AM in response to christinefromselzen

In order to have later applications for use with Snow Leopard 10.6.x additional Apple software would

need to be purchased, usually from online resellers such as Amazon affiliates or perhaps ebay, etc.

• Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard retail install DVD - Apple Store online:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

These software items include the iLife suite of applications (iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD, GarageBand)

so they would be on retail DVD media, from about the same timeframe of Snow Leopard's era. Another

item would be iWork (pages, keynote, numbers) on retail DVD; and since Safari is no longer supported

the current browser that seems to be fairly good, which works presently with Snow Leopard 10.6.8, is

Firefox most recent version (42.0) that is free and has some good features, add-ons from Mozilla, etc.

After the upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.3, there is a Software Update you can get from clicking on

the 'Software Update' item in the menu below the Apple icon, from Apple servers, for OS X 10.6.8

update v 1.1. This is only the update, to bring Snow Leopard to the final step... The retail DVD the

required upgrade, or first step. Be sure to back up everything, or perhaps become familiar with the

creation and use of a full system clone of the old OS X before attempting to upgrade from 10.5.8.

A clone should allow you to start from the old system, if needed, or use it to run older applications.

• Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

In some instances, an older computer may have run a long time on the original hard disk drive; so

to replace that original with a new one that has no wear w/ prospects of a trouble-free life ahead.

You'd have to use the Snow Leopard retail install DVD to prepare a replacement new hard drive for

use with OS X; a universal USB adapter kit with power cord, is a product one can buy that allows

you to work with a bare hard drive and not buy an enclosure (to install new HDD in, first, to then

install the new system; then, have to swap new drive with old internal computer drive, & so on) &

that kind of cable setup costs about $30; see: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

So there are several things that one could do, or be ready just in case; also the computer may need

to have more RAM (memory chip capacity) installed to better run the newer upgrade OS X.

The more you can do for yourself, the less it may cost; however if you aren't technically learned at

this point in time, you could study the idea and do some reading. Online video and online repair

guides are available from (free) source such as powerbookmedic.com, iFixit.com guides, and

macsales.com (owc) sites. The latter has replacement part items and video instructions. I look at

most if not all of them to get ideas on how I should proceed; or if I would consider sending a problem

away to an expert who could do the work at a reasonable price. Places such as wegenermedia.com

or powerbookmedic are among several who can do a good job of repair & upgrade of hardware.

An authorized Apple service provider could also be a local resource, or place to ask what they

may charge for services and replacement parts, labor, etc. Some will work on older Macs...

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Any problem to upgrade OS X 10.5.8 to version 10.6.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.