Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to slow down an animated arrow?

I'm working on a history documentary, and I needed an arrow that can move across a map from one location to another. Fortunately, I found a very good arrow generator here: <http://tinyurl.com/hxygxkf> and it's free, created and donated to the world by a generous soul called Theolait.

The Theolait arrow generator is very versatile, with lots of controls---the arrow can be bent into any shape, a curve or a zig-zag, converted into a dashed or dotted line, etc. In the animation, the arrow appears at Point A and then runs across the screen to Point B. Exactly what I need.

Except, unfortunately, even at the slowest speed setting the arrow moves too fast across the map. It zips all the way across the screen in about two seconds. I thought maybe I could retime the clip containing the map with the arrow generator on it, to slow it down, but I guess because the map is a still image, the retime controls are grayed out.

Is there any other way I might be able to slow down this arrow animation?

Tom B.

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 3:50 PM

select both clips, map and arrow gen, and make it a compound clip, ⌥-G

21 replies

Nov 28, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks Karsten. I selected the whole bundle, which consisted of the titles (which name places on the map), a flag symbol that I had keyframed to move along with the head of the arrow, the arrow generator itself, and the map clip, and made it all into a master clip with Option-G. Then the retiming menu came to life, and I was able to slow down the arrow, but I had to set it all the way down to 10% to make it move as slowly as I wanted it to. The animation is not quite as smooth at 10%, but it's acceptable.

However, I had put cross-dissolves at the beginning of the arrow generator and flag (to make them appear and start out a little more smoothly), which looked fine at 100%, but looks poor at 10%. So what I'd like to do is split the clip back up into its separate parts long enough to get those dissolve transitions off. But now the compound clip will not break back apart. Command-Shift-G won't separate it, nor will the menu command Clip > Break Apart Clip Items (the choice is grayed out). It appears to be stuck as a permanent compound clip.

Do you know of any reason why this compound clip won't separate back into its component parts, or can you suggest any way I might be able to break it back apart?

Tom B.

Nov 28, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Tom Baker1

No… v5+ is required for editing FCPX templates.

I did this Title effect about 6 months after FCPX came out (almost 4 years ago) that is similar to your requirements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlEX3iFXVtE . You are responsible for the specific animation of the arrow so you can determine its speed 100%. There's not a lot of difference between a title and a generator, except you get some additional features provided by the built in text and the interaction with the storyline as an object within the template. In FCPX 10.0.6, Apple changed the way text is treated in titles and it is now necessary to move the text out of the way of the arrow controls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FWRYDp61Y). If all you need is the arrow, then moving the text out of the way (deleting it) will make using the arrow very easy.

HTH

Nov 28, 2015 6:32 PM in response to fox_m

Wow, Fox, that Flexi-Arrow is a really nice arrow maker! Thanks for making it available for free. Very kind of you. I now have the Flexi-Arrow in the FCPX Titles and available for use in my project. I dropped it onto a map and keyframed the start and end positions of the arrow, and now I can control the speed of the animation just by adjusting how close together the keyframes are on the timeline. Neat!

And I also like Theolait's arrow generator, because the the animation is already built in and I'm lazy, but as I noted earlier, I can't control its speed.

So now I am ungratefully looking my two wonderful gift horses in the mouth, and wishing that there was another control point or two in the Flexi-Arrow, so that I could make more complex bends and zig-zags with it, and also wishing that I could control the animation speed of the Theolait arrow generator. Some people are just never happy! (Not true actually--I'm quite pleased with these two nifty arrow makers).

Seeking perfection for my particular purposes, I have just downloaded Motion 5 from the App Store, so that maybe I can tweak one or both arrow-makers by editing their templates. At one time a few years back I wasn't too bad with Motion 3, after learning it through some fine tutorials by Larry Jordan. Maybe I can pick up Motion 5 too. And I'm sure Motion 5 will prove very useful in the future for many things as I work my way from FCP Studio to FCPX.

At the risk of imposing on your time and generosity too much, can you give me an idea how I might be able to tweak the Flexi-Arrow and/or the Theolait arrow generator to make them perfect for me? Or can you direct me to some Motion tutorial that will help me teach myself how to do it?

Just to give you some idea what I'm up to with arrows in this history documentary I'm working on, I have provided a screen shot. In this case, the path of the U.S. Army across New Guinea during World War Two is shown by the arrow extending across the map, and as the arrow moves, the little American flag runs along with the arrowhead. This particular arrow is headed all the way to the left side of the screen. On other maps I will have Japanese, British, or Australian flags moving along with the arrows.

Tom B.

User uploaded file

Dec 2, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Tom Baker1

ready for Plan B) ? 😉

fox_m is the Motion expert and can help you in creating a universal, all-purpose Generator. … no beginners task, I dare to say...-

but for a few maps? consider individual 'Projects', and a growing line plus a moving flag is done in seconds, look:

User uploaded file

layer#1 is the pic of the map as a background

layer#2 I'm using the Bezier tool, draw the line; in the Inspector/'settings', switch off Fill, define color, thickness, and 'End Cap' allows to make it a nice arrow

layer #3 a flag, size as you want

now, the animation part is due to Behaviors drop dead easy, no key-frames needed:

User uploaded file

to the Bezier, apply a Write-On behavior - boom! done - arrow travels around the map

to the flag, apply Motion Path/Path Shape 'geometry'/Source: your bezier - boom! done - flag travels with arrow!

some cosmetics? tune the Anchor Point of flag, adjust smoothness of arrow, adjust bezier points, change colors, a waving flag, flying camera etc etc etc...

but really done in seconds! No $$plug-ins, no modding (sorry fox 😉 ), no nothing ...

Nov 28, 2015 9:39 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten, Plan B sounds excellent! Many thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial. I'm sure that in the future many people besides me will follow these instructions to create moving arrows on maps with Motion.

I'm new to doing things like this in Motion--my only experience with Motion was long ago with Motion 3--but I'm going to fire up Motion 5 now (for the first time ever, since I only downloaded it from the App Store a few hours ago) and try to follow your instructions, and see if I can do it, creating each moving map arrow as an individual FCPX Project within this, um, project of mine, or history documentary.

Until I can find, make, or modify an all-purpose arrow generator to use in situations like this, I'll try to follow your suggestion and create these animated arrows in Motion, each as a separate Project in FCPX. In fact this may turn out to be the best way to do things anyway, if I can only learn how. I'll have to re-familiarize myself with Motion's controls to start with. It will no doubt be quite a while before I can create an animated arrow "in seconds" like you can, but at least I can aspire to that in the future.

I'll report back later on how I make out with Motion. Thanks again!

Tom B.

Nov 29, 2015 12:07 AM in response to Tom Baker1

Tom Baker1 wrote:

...I'll report back later on how I make out with Motion. Thanks again!

You're Welcome 😀

I still call myself a beginner, started with M5 two years ago, hobbyist, creating my own 'screendesign' for weekly sport reports, school projects etc. So, I just stand on giants shoulders, sharing this advices... 😉

The next couple of hours, it's soccer time, kids play last game of the season - snowing here, a challange for my batteries.... and my fingers LOL!

I guess, I was a bit hasty with my advice, you will come to a few hurdles, I suppose:

Don't hesitate for further questions, keep time-zones in mind ...

Nov 29, 2015 1:30 AM in response to Tom Baker1

Ok! Great you have Motion 5.

For Pro Arrow, start in FCPX, find the generator and right click on it and "Open in Motion". Open the Timeline editor (icon at blue arrow) and find the Marker icon (at the green arrow) — it should be a Build In Mandatory marker (possibly, but less likely a Build Out) and it should be towards the end of the project timeline. Right click on it and from the popup menu, select Delete Marker (make sure it's a Build In marker.)

User uploaded file

From the File Menu, select Save As. In the Share dialog, select the Category the original is in and name it something similar.

Switch back to FCPX (no need to restart) and replace the old Pro Arrow with your modified version. Stretch out the generator to slow down the timing.

If you don't find a Build In marker, let me know -- something else is going on.

As for my Flexi-Arrow title... that one is quite a bit more difficult to add more points. It's not possible to use onscreen controls to control a Bezier curve, it has to be a B-spline (but it is switchable to linear for straight line segments.)

[a little later in time...]

instead of trying to give instructions of how to make modifications (which essentially would be a start from scratch project due to some quirks in Motion concerning adding new points to a line and trying to attach onscreen controls to them) I made an 8-point variation with some new features (8 points should be more than enough control — if you need more, try stacking multiple instances of the generator and lining them up end to end). However, there is no text in this one, it's just the arrow.

You can download it here: http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/sc_flexiarrowLite.zip

New features:

The onscreen controls (OSCs) are joined by line segments. You will always know how the line progresses on the screen.

You can choose B-Spline or Linear line segments.

You can choose the Joint type (Square Round or Bevel — Round is the default).

You can set an "Auto Line Length" which is somewhat interesting... it doesn't work as originally intended, but I like the way it works now better (happy accident...) Set the Auto Line Length % to a value less than 100%. As the arrow line starts out, it will be small — it grows to the set maximum % of the line's full length. The beginning of the line always follows (automatically) the Last Point Offset (so you don't have to animate the First Point Offset if you don't want to — you can animate the Auto Line Length % down to its minimum instead, as well.) You can set the First Point Offset with Use Auto Length set on to change the starting point of where the arrow line appears along its path. Use Auto Length is *Off* by default.

Otherwise, it mostly works as the original.

This project is a good example of how to control "shapes" with onscreen controls. Since you're just starting out, we borrow onscreen controls from various filters (usually Distortion type filters) that have them built in (they'll have a "Publish OSC" checkbox in their inspectors.) Most of the original OSCs used for FCPX were Poke filters. In this I used Gradient Blur because it provides the two (smaller) end controls plus the line that connects the two. I linked them together in a daisy chain (Link1-Link8 in the OSCs group.) Filters with OSCs must be put in a 2D Fixed Resolution Group (you can find those options in the Group Inspector when the group is selected.) Shapes cannot be directly controlled with OSCs, so a graphic element must be used as the "middleman" (and it must be an image type graphic.) I generally use the Crosshair Minute from the Content Library as the graphic image source. Use the OSC to control the position of the graphic. You can then attach Track Points behaviors to the points in the shape (line). You use the individual Crosshair images as the source for the Tracking behavior. In FCPX/Motion, use the OSC to control the Crosshair and the Line points track the crosshair... that's just how it works. Put the crosshairs in their own group and turn off the group to make the crosshairs invisible to the user.

There are a couple of caveats:

1) OSCs work in a general coordinate system that applies to any sized project — that is 0 to 1 in both horizontal and vertical aspects. Motion changes those values to pixel values based on the size of the project. In order to adjust the position of the object linked to an OSC, it's dimensional axis offset (X or Y) must be set to -0.5 (for alignment to screen center... if you have a different kind of project, you can offset OSCs from the objects under control by however much you want... but it will be decimal and < 1 if you want to see it in the canvas.)

2) Track Point behaviors usually default to Mimic Source for the Transform; it needs to be Attach to Source. Also, when you change from one transform type to another, you must Reset the point(s) that are linked. You can do that by clicking the reset icon to the right of the Track # list for the point you need to align. It is best practice to reset the alignment **before** setting the Transform to Attach to Source (sometimes Motion gets "stuck" with the alignment values.)

If you go digging around in this template, you find a Custom behavior... It's turned off because the technique which worked in Motion, did not work in FCPX and I had to create a workaround. It can be ignored and even deleted without affecting the template in FCPX.

HTH

Nov 29, 2015 2:18 PM in response to fox_m

My cup runneth over! Thanks for all of this help, Fox! I’ll spend today attempting to follow your instructions for modifying the Theolait arrow generator’s template, so that the timing of the arrow’s animation can be regulated by just stretching out the generator in the Timeline. And I'm sure I will also learn much from your explanation of Motion's controls.

But first I wanted to see the new Flexi-Arrow Lite, so I downloaded it and dropped it into the FCPX’s Titles folder. But it wouldn’t appear in FCPX’s Titles at first, so I compared it with the other Titles in the folder to see if there were any differences, and I noticed that the names of all the other Motion files ended with .moti., whereas Flexi-Arrow Lite’s ended with .motn. So I changed the .motn to .moti, and as soon as I did, the Flexi-Arrow Lite appeared in FCPX’s Titles browser. So I’m guessing that you made a little typo there, typing .motn instead of .moti, that you’ll want to fix.

And wow, is this new Flexi-Arrow Lite ever flexible! With eight control points on it compared to the original Flexi-Arrow’s four, this new arrow can be bent all over the map (pun intended!) and zigged and zagged every which-a-way. Terrific! For zigging and zagging, the Linear line setting looks best, making sharp corners, or for smooth curves I'll use the B-spline setting. This is quite a wonderful arrow tool for use on maps in documentaries like the one I’m working on.

Since I’m still not very savvy at animating things with keyframes, it took me some fiddling around at first before I could make the arrow appear on the map and grow out to a desired length. I found that it only takes three keyframes, and it strikes me that anyone reading this thread in the future who is similarly keyframe-challenged might appreciate instructions on how to do it. A YouTube video would be the best way to show it, but there may be people who would benefit from written instructions as well. I don’t know if my method is the best way or not (and feel free to point out if it’s not, or if I left something out), but it works for me, so here it is:

To create a moving arrow on a map with the Sight Creations Flexi-Arrow or Flexi-Arrow Lite, which requires the insertion of only three keyframes, do the following:

In FCPX, hit the Titles button to bring up the Titles Browser, and locate the Flexi-Arrow or Flexi-Arrow Lite (I created an Arrows folder and put them both in it, to make them easy to find).

Drag the Flexi-Arrow Title of your choice from the Titles Browser to the Timeline and drop it on top of the map clip, and drag its edge out to approximately the desired length (I suggest you make it extra wide so that you can more easily see the keyframes you'll be making; you can always shorten it later).

Click on the Title if necessary to highlight it in the Timeline and to bring up its controls in the Inspector, and also hit Control-V to open the title’s Video Animation box above it on the Timeline, so that you can see the keyframes appear there when you make them.

If it’s the original Flexi-Arrow, with text on the arrow, and you don’t want any text, just delete the sample text (under the Inspector’s Text button) so that you have only the arrow (this isn’t necessary with the Flexi-Arrow Lite because it has no text).

Click on the Title button in the Inspector Panel to bring up the arrow’s controls. In the Viewer, drag the arrow’s positioning circles around until it’s positioned the way you want it to be on the map, and use the Line Width slider to adjust its thickness. You can use the other sliders to adjust other attributes now, or you can make such adjustments later if you prefer. Choose a color for the arrow if you don’t want the default color.

In the Timeline, put the playhead about where you want the arrow’s movement to end (i.e. where you want the arrowhead to stop), and then, in the Inspector, put in two keyframes: one beside the the First Point Offset slider, and another one beside the Last Point Offset slider. To do this, move your mouse cursor just to the right of the sliders, and you’ll see a keyframe symbol (a diamond) with a + inside of it appear. Click on that little diamond to create a keyframe beside each slider, and you’ll also see them appear (on top of each other) down on the Timeline, in the Title’s Video Animation box.

Now move the playhead a ways earlier (to the left) in the Timeline, to about where you want the arrow movement to begin (you can adjust it later). Up in the arrow’s controls again, move the Last Point Offset slider all the way to the left, so that the arrow retracts all the way back out of sight. When you do this, a keyframe will automatically appear beside the Last Point Offset slider, and you'll also see this second keyframe appear in the Title’s Video Animation box.

Now the animation is complete, and you're finished, unless you care to make any further adjustments to the arrow or to the keyframe positions (usually you will). As the timeline moves across the keyframes, the arrow will appear on the map at the first keyframe, extend outward between the keyframes, and stop at the second pair of keyframes. To speed the arrow animation up, just slide the keyframes closer together, and to slow it down, move them farther apart.

Adjustments can also be made to the arrow’s positioning on the map, or to any other attributes, at any time, just by clicking on the Title in the Timeline to bring up the arrow’s controls in the Inspector.

Tom B.

Nov 29, 2015 6:58 PM in response to fox_m

Fox, I tried to modify the behavior of the arrow animation in the Theolait arrow generator, but I had no luck. There must be some other factor in the template, something besides that green marker icon in its timeline, that causes the arrow to extend to its full length early on in the Timeline. There is a green marker like the one shown in your example, named Build in-Optional, that sits at Frame 91 of a total of 300 frames (the arrow animation is all finished at Frame 40).

I right-clicked on that green Build In-Optional marker and deleted it, then did a Save As and gave it a new name, and it appeared in FCPX right beside the original generator under the new name. But deleting that marker didn't make any difference--when dropped on a map clip, the generator still behaved exactly the same as it had in the original: the arrow was all finished extending by Frame 40.

Then I opened the modified generator in Motion again and deleted the whole Duration layer, and tried it out again in FCPX, but that had no effect either. The arrow animation was still all finished when the Playhead was only a little ways through the generator.

So I gave up on that copy of the generator and deleted it.

I could try modifying the original generator again if you have any more ideas how I might get the arrow animation to run the full length of the clip.

Tom B.

Nov 29, 2015 9:57 PM in response to Tom Baker1

I downloaded the Arrow Theolait generator to look at it (I normally don't do that...) This generator is essentially the same as the one I did. It does have some interesting features.

You can slow down this arrow by setting the Duration parameter in the FCPX inspector to 100. That will make the animation take 90 frames (1 1/2 seconds.)

What complicates this generator is that the creator used Write On behaviors and Rigged the custom speed settings. He also has multiple copies of the line tracking different points of the five controls he provided... and a replicator to create the dashed lines. It's clever, but probably a little overly complicated. Definitely be difficult to get in and change all the related parameters across that many items (you have to track them all down in the Rig widgets.)

BTW - Flexi-Arrow Lite is (was) a generator, not a title since it doesn't have any text. You accidentally discovered that you can change titles and generators into each other by changing the file type (although it's generally not a good idea to change a title into a generator if you have the Title Background drop zone in the project.)

How to slow down an animated arrow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.