Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LCD Proximity sensor not working, very high fan RPM

My late 2012 27" iMac has been suffering from a weird issue for the last months. The fan would start making noise, the Mac being all laggy and slow, and my screen would turn black for 1 minute or so. After this, all at once, the fan reverted to normal speed, the screen displayed as normal and the Mac was working again as usual.

After checking lots of guides and web sites, I have finally downloaded a very simple app (Macs Fan Control 1.3.2) that lets my check the fan speed and the temperature sensors of my iMac.

In the last week, I often turned on the iMac in the morning (after several hours of night inactivity) and the fan immediately started to reach very high RPMs, even up to 3600. At the same time, the LCD proximity sensor showed an unbeliavably high temperature: 125°C. This was obviously false, as the iMac had just been turned on and the display temperature was absolutely normal if I touched it. I could force the fan to slow down by customizing its speed to 1500 or so, but the iMac was still laggy and slow.

User uploaded file

The LCD proximity sensor is apparently not working, then, but sometimes it reads normal temperatures (it is at 29°C right now as I am writing), and sometimes it gets to 125°C again, then everything is back to normal for hours... Any suggestions on how to fix this issue, possibly without sending the iMac to assistance? For instance, is there any way to manually control the LCD proximity sensor? Or maybe a way to replace it by myself, considering the iMac EMC is 2546?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 3:00 AM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 11:11 AM in response to marcopico

Good day marcopico,

If you are having an issue with your iMac's fans running inappropriately, you may want to start by resetting the System Management Controller. Use the steps in this article - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

Specifically -

On Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Xserve

To reset the SMC on Intel-based Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini computers, as well as Xserve:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

Nov 30, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Brett L

Brett L, thanks for your reply. I appreciate the explanations you gave me, but as I noticed in my first post I have been struggling with this issue for some months, so I have already and repeatedly reset SMC and PRAM with no results.

I am quite convinced that my issue is based on a hardware failure: the LCD proximity sensor is probably damaged, although I never opened my iMac or accessed its hardware anyhow. This is why I was looking for a solution to manually override the sensor, maybe using the Terminal or a third-party app that can disable it.

Kind regards,

Marco

LCD Proximity sensor not working, very high fan RPM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.