Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the current Airport Extreme (ME918LL/A) support bridging mode?

I have an Airport setup with two earlier-generation Airports connected in bridge mode. (NOTE this is not the same thing as extending a network through a wifi - wifi connection). I'd like to upgrade one of the units. I feel I read somewhere that the current (ME918LL/A) model doesn't support bridge mode but can't find information about this in the device's specifications.

Bridge mode in the ME918LL/A?User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 10:51 AM

I feel I read somewhere that the current (ME918LL/A) model doesn't support bridge mode but can't find information about this in the device's specifications.

Your feelings are what they are, but like any of the AirPort routers, Bridge Mode is available as a Router Mode option for the current 802.11ac version of the AirPort Extreme.

Here is a screenshot of the ME911LL/A 802.11ac version of an Airport Extreme on the network here.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 10:51 AM in response to John Etnier

I feel I read somewhere that the current (ME918LL/A) model doesn't support bridge mode but can't find information about this in the device's specifications.

Your feelings are what they are, but like any of the AirPort routers, Bridge Mode is available as a Router Mode option for the current 802.11ac version of the AirPort Extreme.

Here is a screenshot of the ME911LL/A 802.11ac version of an Airport Extreme on the network here.

User uploaded file

Nov 28, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks! This is good to know.

I've been searching online since posting. I am not permitted to quote from a recent Amazon review here, but the poster says that the current firmware disables bridge mode, requires rebooting to 'service legacy devices', and that it moves the system down to "N" status from "AC" in the presence of any N hardware on the network.

I guess the worse I can do is buy one and return it if it misbehaves.

Thanks again.

Nov 28, 2015 11:57 AM in response to John Etnier

Well, I guess the "poster" is entitled to his opinions.......even if they are wrong.

the current firmware disables bridge mode

Wrong.

it moves the system down to "N" status from "AC" in the presence of any N hardware on the network.

Wrong again.

requires rebooting to 'service legacy devices'

Not sure what this really means.....since any new device will require a reboot to save the configuration settings.

Does the current Airport Extreme (ME918LL/A) support bridging mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.