Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud is not receiving email forwarded from gmail or virgin (now run by google I think)

I have a an email account with ntlworld.com (part of virgin media). For years I have had all emails to this address forwarded to my .me address. Yesterday it stopped. One or two messages have now come through with a delay of about 24hrs. I also have a .gmail account (which I hardly use), again everthing was forwarded to .me but again it has stopped. I think virgin media email has changed to a google system. Is there a problem with icloud receiving messages forwards from google?

I have iphone5s, ipadmini and macbookpro. They all access icloud with absolutely no problems until yesterday.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:06 AM

9 replies

Nov 28, 2015 9:03 AM in response to AndrewA5

AndrewA5 wrote:

Yes, no change unfortunately. I've tried various test emails. messages forwarded from @ntlworld.com or @gmail.com are not getting through

Now that you mentioned this, I decided to check on my email in iCloud (being forwarded from Gmail) and have noticed a similar issue. However, with my issue there's a delay from Gmail to iCloud. I am still getting them in iCloud except for the delay. For me, I'm going to watch this closely for today and perhaps tomorrow and if it continues, I'll reach out to Apple Support on Monday as these issues usually iron themselves out.

If it still continues and it becomes more worrisome, I would suggest reaching out to them sooner. I know last year, someone was experiencing something similar to your issue -- why do only some of my virgin emails come through on my Apple mail box? I know they do not all appear because if I go online and logon Virgin Media, there are always some which have not appeared in my mail box. Why?

And even this year too -- Re: Gmail emails are delayed or not sending to iCloud

Nov 29, 2015 1:12 AM in response to AndrewA5

Me too! And my whole family. We've lost all our incoming emails over the last couple of days, because I don't have it set to keep copies at the Virgin Media end. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any confirmations of any orders! Who knows what else I've lost!

I actually think that Virgin moved away from using Google to handle their mail a few months ago and now do it themselves. The question is, is it that the Virgin end isn't forwarding or the Apple end is blocking? I'm sure they will both point the finger at the other party! In the mean time, I'm a bit stuffed.

Nov 30, 2015 12:43 AM in response to AndrewA5

I've just spoken to Virgin Media technical support. They say they have an issue with their mail servers that they are working on and that this problem is the cause of our missing emails. They are currently estimating a fix date of Tuesday 1 December. I've been told that all of the missing emails in the backlog should come through when the fix is implemented (but I'm not sure that I believe that!). I note that this is a known issue inside Virgin Media, but that their 'service status' web page is showing 'green' for all services, which isn't very helpful. I also note that Virgin recently ended their relationship with Google, who used to provide the back end for all of their email services. I suspect running email has turned out not to be as simple as they had thought.

Nov 30, 2015 12:57 AM in response to Marco Hero

Thanks for that - hopefully that will sort it. I had a long conversation with Virgin on Saturday, we established that I can send messages from @ntlworld address (Virgin) to @me (icloud), and vice versa, but the auto forwarding from virgin to icloud does not work. It's the same on my macbook, iphone or ipad. Virgin pointed the finger at apple...

This morning 24 messages into my @ntlworld none of them forwarded. On my @me I had received just one message forwarded from @ntlworld - having been received there last Friday 27th so a delay of 3 days. By now there could be a large backlog at Virgin.

One interesting observation: on my macbookpro when I 'send' an email the mail activity box sometimes shows 'outgoing 3 of 3' or '2 of 2' , although I'm only sending one message to a single recipient. Similarly on receiving emails, it might indicate it is receiving say 30 emails when in fact only one appears in the inbox (& no, they don't appear in the junk box). This may be a completely unrelated and/or unimportant issue. (Macbook pro 2009 with OSX 10.9.5).

Anyway, I'll wait to see what happens in the next day or so...

icloud is not receiving email forwarded from gmail or virgin (now run by google I think)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.