Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why have Apple removed optical drives from Macbook Pro models?

I Was thinking of buying a new 15" MacBook Pro but I am disappointed to find there are no built in optical drives anymore. Why have they taken this backward step? Surely the idea of portability is to have things like this built in as standard? Making people have to buy external peripherals and then have to carry bigger bulkier bags when taking their Macbook with them is just going backwards.

Surely I'm not alone in this. I hope someone from Apple reads this, more so someone involved in the design of these things. Seems like form over function is being prioritised, as well as profit due to the fact people have to buy more than they should have to.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:37 AM

4 replies

Nov 28, 2015 4:45 AM in response to Shintogurl

Apple do not promise to read anything here. To contact them use the feedback mechanism.

Form over function? I don't think so. Very much function over form. Optical media is going the way of the floppy drive. USB flash drives, DS Cards and so on and the Cloud are faster, more portable and more efficient and carry far more data than even the most capacious optical media. They are a lot less bulky too, and less prone to corrosion, failure snd breakage.

As for being alone? probably not, but these drives have been gone a few years now and you'd be surprised how rarely this comes up.

Nov 28, 2015 5:54 AM in response to Shintogurl

18 months ago, I purchased the mid 2012 MacBook Pro for that same exact reason. Since then,I have used my CD drive once and that was to load tax prep software that I could have purchased online for the same cost. You can buy a name brand external hard at Best Buy to meet your needs. Some of us more traditional users need to rethink how we do things and relearn new ways that most likely in the long run may save time and money. Games are great on game consoles. Music downloaded plays just as well as a CD and is safe stored in the cloud.

Why have Apple removed optical drives from Macbook Pro models?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.