Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to setup?

I have been asked to look at an Airport Express which I have no experience on.

It is connected to a Sky ADSL router and they want to use the Airport Express to extend their wireless.

I presume there needs to be an ethernet from the router to airport in the WAN socket and then I configured it to extend the wireless by putting the same credentials in the utility. I then get a flashing amber light. If I set it up as an access point it works.

Can it even act as a repeater? Help on this would be great.

Cheers

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 6:30 AM

Set up the AirPort Express as an access point that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the "main" network. Then, everything will act like one "big" network.

In effect, you will have two access points both providing the same signal, and devices will connect to the access point with the strongest signal.

By "repeater", If you are asking if the AirPort Express can connect using wireless and "repeat" or "extend" the network that way, the answer would be be Yes and No.

Yes, if the AirPort Express will be extending the signal from another Apple wireless router.

No, if they want the AirPort Express to extend the signal from a third party wireless router.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 6:30 AM in response to MatthewL88

Set up the AirPort Express as an access point that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the "main" network. Then, everything will act like one "big" network.

In effect, you will have two access points both providing the same signal, and devices will connect to the access point with the strongest signal.

By "repeater", If you are asking if the AirPort Express can connect using wireless and "repeat" or "extend" the network that way, the answer would be be Yes and No.

Yes, if the AirPort Express will be extending the signal from another Apple wireless router.

No, if they want the AirPort Express to extend the signal from a third party wireless router.

Nov 29, 2015 2:13 PM in response to MatthewL88

"Extend a wireless network" would be used only if the Express is going to "extend" the signal from another Apple router using a wireless connection.

But, this setting will NOT work if you are trying to have the Express "extend" the signal from a third party (non-Apple) router like Sky.

If you are trying to connect the Express to a Sky router, it must connect using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection and be set up a wireless access point.

Best way to setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.