Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A neighbor's wireless network is more powerful than my own, so my MacBookPro selects it every time. How can I eliminate that neighbor's network from the AirPort searching?

A neighbor's wireless network is always "found" by my AirPort first, so my MacBook links to it. But, I want it to find my own network, obviously. Question: how can I eliminate that neighbor's network from the network searching function? Is that even possible? In other words, I want my laptop to skip that neighbor's network when I wake my laptop.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 6:55 AM

On your Mac laptop......

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Here you will see the list of networks that your laptop "remembers" and it will connect to the network at the top of the list first. If you want the laptop to connect to a specific network, click on the name of the network to highlight it, then drag it to the top of the list.

Now click to highlight a network that you do not want your laptop to "remember", then click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to remove the network. Do the same for any other networks that you no longer need.

Click OK at the lower right of the window

Click Apply in the next window that appears

Close the windows and restart your Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 6:55 AM in response to bt40L

On your Mac laptop......

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Here you will see the list of networks that your laptop "remembers" and it will connect to the network at the top of the list first. If you want the laptop to connect to a specific network, click on the name of the network to highlight it, then drag it to the top of the list.

Now click to highlight a network that you do not want your laptop to "remember", then click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to remove the network. Do the same for any other networks that you no longer need.

Click OK at the lower right of the window

Click Apply in the next window that appears

Close the windows and restart your Mac

A neighbor's wireless network is more powerful than my own, so my MacBookPro selects it every time. How can I eliminate that neighbor's network from the AirPort searching?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.