Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV / XFinity / Time Capsule set-up?

I'm liking the new features in my new AppleTV, but since I installed it, I've been disappointed with several 'streaming; experiences. For instance, A movie I rented from iTunes took 15 minutes to start and then stalled several times in the second half of the show ('buffering' problem like 1998!). I never have this problem while watching movies on Netflix through my AppleTV (new or old).

Also, I had a terrible expereince on Thanksgiving when I tried to show a photo album from one of my 'shared albums' in the cloud -- again, nothing for a long time, then we got 25 pictures, then the whole thing stalled and it basically ruined the evening (none of my guests will be running out to be buying AppleTV).

My XFInity cable modem is upstairs, and I have out connected to my Time Capsule using 'bridge mode'. This has always seemed to work pretty well in the past. My Time Capsule is a 4th-en version -- Would upgrading to the newer (5th-gen) version of Time Capsule be likely to improve my situation? I wouldn't think so, as the network specs / standards seem to be the same?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Time_Capsule

. . . or would I be better off getting out of bridge Mode and just using my XFInity modem's wireless signal instead of the Time Capsule's?

It's very frustrating because there seem to be so many variables. Thanks for any suggestions.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:18 AM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 12:00 PM in response to wickerman5

It is very frustrating and indeed tracking down networking fault is never easy.

It does sound like the ATV is getting very poor link speeds in the current location. Can you setup a laptop in the same location and see how you go streaming the movie on the laptop or running the photos.

That would be my first test if you can manage it..

Cloud sharing is so dependent on everything working I really hate the whole idea of it.

My XFInity cable modem is upstairs, and I have out connected to my Time Capsule using 'bridge mode'.

What model modem?

I am confused as to which is bridged.. the xfinitiy modem or the TC??

Is the TC showing a double NAT error?

You seem to be suggesting the cable modem is bridged but this is often not possible .. people turn off wireless but that does not equal bridge.

. . . or would I be better off getting out of bridge Mode and just using my XFInity modem's wireless signal instead of the Time Capsule's?

Yes, again if the xfinity modem is truly bridged then please set it up as router and test it via wireless to the ATV.

Tell me how that works.

AppleTV / XFinity / Time Capsule set-up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.